Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP keeps re-booting

• Please log in to reply

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
The computer is a HP Pavilion dv2000. It is my daughter's, and it's about 2 years old. I have no idea what happened. It just seems to go around in circles.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but please read THIS page. Also, THIS is the official HP page where you can find out if your model number is covered by this free repair.

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I don't think it is. The problems we are having are not in the list of repairs.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
#4 in the list states... The laptop will not start. I think you'll qualify if you're covered.

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Pavilion dv2000 and Presario v3000 failure symptoms:

1. There is a problem with the wireless card.
2. There is no video on the laptop LCD screen on external monitor.

There is no #4 for her model though.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

There is no #4 for her model though.

You're correct. I misread your model number the first time around. Sorry about that! :)

Have you tried getting into Safe Mode? To do this... continually depress the F8 key just after you power up the laptop. This should give you the option of going into the Safe Mode menu, or it'll automatically take you to the Safe Mode menu. Once in the Safe Mode menu, choose "Safe Mode" (not with networking). The computer will start to boot into Safe Mode. When you get to the logon screen, choose Administrator, and enter the password (if there is one), or just hit the enter key. The laptop will boot to Safe Mode. You'll get a popup window stating you're in safe mode... just confirm yes.

Once the laptop completely boots to Safe Mode, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Run System Restore and select to "Restore my computer to an earlier time". In the calendar, choose a "bolded" date prior to when this problem started and click Ok. You may need to go back a few days further if the first attempt doesn't work.

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok. I started to boot it up, and pressed the F8 key. I tried safe mode, but it went around to booting up again. I can only get as far as the Windows XP icon, then a blue page with writing flashes and then the computer reboots itself.
I then tried "don't automatically reboot" and got the blue screen to stay on. It said:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x85B86DD0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000 )

I then turned the computer off to restart, and now it won't turn on at all.
Have I killed it?

oromis_

oromis_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
... My condition zero wont start anymore... well not only that... my whole computer just restarts itself, and it all started when i got a new headset, cz works fine as long as the headset is not plugged in... the headsets name is: Fatal1ty USB GAMING HEADSET HS-1000, plz i badly need some help... :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

... My condition zero wont start anymore... well not only that... my whole computer just restarts itself, and it all started when i got a new headset, cz works fine as long as the headset is not plugged in... the headsets name is: Fatal1ty USB GAMING HEADSET HS-1000, plz i badly need some help... :)

I understand you're new to GTG, and it may be you're entirely new to forums and are unaware of proper forum etiquette, but... It's VERY BAD MANNERS to jump into someone else's thread to state a problem you're having. If you need help, PLEASE start your OWN THREAD and someone will help you when they have time.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I then turned the computer off to restart, and now it won't turn on at all.
Have I killed it?

Hmmm... I don't know. Things seem to be getting worse and worse. :)

What you could do is to pull the battery and leave it out for a few minutes then reinstall it. You shouldn't start the computer before considering you might need to run chkdsk /r from the recovery console. Do you have the XP installation disc? If you do, follow THIS to run chkdsk /r from the recovery console and if that doesn't cure the problem, you may need to do a Windows Repair.

Advertisements

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, I took the battery out, waited, put it back in, and....nothing.
I do not have an installation disc. Apparently, I'm to push F11 for a recovery disc, but now I can't even get that far.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I'm not sure myself which path to take with your machine. Something must have died on it. I'm guessing there aren't even any lights coming on?

There's just one more thing I can think of and that is to remove the battery, press and hold the power switch for about 5 seconds. Doing this will cause the power up circuits to discharge the power supply capacitors. Do this press/hold several times and then reinsert the battery and try to power up again. Other than that, the last thing is to take your machine to a repairman. If it doesn't even power up, there's nothing else we can accomplish here.

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok...I got it working again (sheepishly admitting that my daughter had unplugged her computer without telling me and the battery died).
I am on a black screen that is giving me bootup options. I've tried safe mode, but that doesn't work.
Do I still try windows repair?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Do I still try windows repair?

If you can't even boot to Safe Mode, you need to be able to boot to an XP disc to run the Recovery Console or a Windows repair. If you don't have your disc, you could even borrow one from someone and try that. The disc should be the same as what you have installed on your computer... XP Home, or PRO.

If you can't borrow a disc, then you can also boot from XP floppies as the floppies have the Recovery Console... providing of course, you have access to a floppy drive. You would need to create the XP floppies, (6 each) then boot to them and enter the Recovery Console to run chkdsk /r. You can't however do a Windows repair with the floppies. You can download the floppies for XP HOME HERE and for XP PRO HERE.

Downloading, creating, and using the floppies are a pain, so I would check around with friends and family to see if you can borrow an XP disc. If you know someone who has the same model laptop see if you can borrow their recovery CD as that would be a much better solution.

If you can't borrow a CD, you could also purchase the Recovery discs from HP HERE... scroll down the page to... CD-ROM order page - Recovery Discs... to access the links for whichever discs you need.

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi. I'm back. I found the recovery CDs, and attempted to use them. But it's not working. When I tried to reboot, it says " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM
It then says I can attempt to repair the file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup-CD. I've tried this 3 times now, and nothing happens.