Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP keeps re-booting

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Sorry for not replying sooner. The reason is because if I post a reply in a thread I'm helping in and the OP doesn't reply after 4 days, I unsubscribe from the thread. I carry too many threads to keep all subscriptions.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

This tells me that during boot, Windows is trying to boot off the hard drive. Did you change the boot sequence in bios to have the computer boot from the CD/DVD drive?

As the computer boots up, try tapping the ESC key to see if you can access the boot menu. If a menu comes up and the CD drive is listed, have the computer boot from it... be sure you have the Windows CD in the drive before attempting this. If the CD boots, try running Windows repair as described in the link I posted.

If you don't get the boot menu, then you may need to go into bios to change the boot order. According to the DV2000 manual, you need to depress the F10 key (continually tap the F10 as the computer boots). Once in bios, you will need to look through the menus to find/change the boot order to the CD/DVDROM.

Advertisements

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok I did that. The next option I get is Press R for recovery options
Press f to format the hard drive and reinstall the original factory settings. All data will be lost!
Press q to quit this menu.
I've done r twice now, and it goes through it's process but then I'm back at square one.
What next?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Ok I did that. The next option I get is Press R for recovery options

I'm lost. Your replies are not detailed enough so I can't tell what you're doing.

Exactly which "R" are we talking about? Did you press "R" and end up at the "Recovery Console", or did you press "R" to do a Windows Repair?

What disc are you using? If it's the manufacture's recovery discs, then you want to follow the manufacture's recovery procedure. Do you have a manual? If it's a Windows XP installation disk, then you should follow the How-to repair Windows XP... (LINK).

Staceyvee

Staceyvee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It says press R for standard PC recovery options. I have 3 burned CDs that the install geeks did when we bought the laptop, and I am using CD 1. Cd 2 and 3 so far do nothing.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
So if Cd1 loads, and Cd 2 and 3 do nothing, then it seems that you never even got through the recovery process. Heaven only knows if the Cd's are any good.

I have 3 burned CDs that the install geeks did when we bought the laptop

The only things I can think of is that you contact the place you bought the computer from and tell these "install geeks" the cd's they made don't recover your computer. Also, you could contact HP and purchase "real" recovery cd's specifically made for your system. Or, perhaps borrow an XP disc to attempt a Windows repair. The disc you borrow must be the same OS that is currently running on your computer... whichever it is, XP Home, Pro, Media Center, etc. You computer is licensed to XP, so borrowing a disc is perfectly fine to do.