Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer too slow, won't shut down and more...

• Please log in to reply

Bomberofdoom

Bomberofdoom

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Specs:

Windows XP Proffesional Service Pack 3.
Intel Pentium IV 3.47 Ghz
1.00 GB RAM
ZOTAC NVidia GeForce 6200 256MB 64BIT DDR2
160 GB Harddisk memory.

I use IE8.

Ok, I am really pissed off at this problem....

About 3 days ago I was fighting against a malware problem, presumably an mset.exe problem. Thanks to MBAM, I was able to get rid of it (or soo MBAM, PreVX and SpyBot say).

But I am still experiencing some annoying issues in my computer after this malware problem has been "solved".

Here are some of the syptoms:

- My Computer takes too long to load, than when it normaly does (about a minute, instead of 5 sec).
- The computer won't shut down or restart unless I take drastic measures.
When I go to start-> Turn Off Computer -> Turn Off/Restart, it will show the desktop, the desktop icons would "refresh" and then nothing happens. I try it several times, several things happen:
a. Sometimes the "No Antivirus Protection" Red shield will show up, while it was supposed to at the start up.
b. Some processes shut down, one by one, everytime i press shut down. If I use the computers shut down button (the physical one) every press does so too, and eventually the computer will shutdown (or get stuck at the blue screen with the saving settings message).
I noticed that I can still operate normally in my computer after I pressed the shutdown button once. I've also noticed from the Task Manager that when i call a shutdown/restart there's some random process, never the same, that for some reason takes up 50 or more % of the CPU. Pressing the shutdown button again will probablly kill the process or some other one. I usualy have 50+ process on my computer, and when I reach ~40 processes left in my manual shutdown attempts, the computer shuts down from that point automaticly.
- For some reason, in my Gmail, my Gmail Chat box gets screwed up - I see the same username in the chat list several times, and in the inbox I sometimes am not able to see my email because it is stuck in "Still Working" message. Of course I had those messages before, but it wouldn't get STUCK on it.
- My internet connection is fine all the time, yet several times when I move to different addresses in IE I get a timeout page. Loading the internet explorer takes a little too long IMO (+15 sec instead of 5).
- One of my games, Flight Simulator 2004, freezes in mid-game. Never had this error before.

I believe that all of these problems have something to do with that my RAM is being overused and/or something is messing with the processes on my computer and delaying them.

I have already taken some measures in trying to fix some of these errors, but with no success.
I want to do a memory check for the RAM, but I currently have no flash drive to use. Any application I could use on Windows normally?

I would really appreciate your help, as this forum has apparently already solved one part of this Malware mystery.

Thanks in advance!

Bomber.

Edited by Bomberofdoom, 28 August 2009 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I advised you on Aug 25 that you needed to go to the Malware forum to create a post. Instead you create another thread here where rshaffer61 has had to state the same advice.

We understand your frustration, but you have to understand that if you still have a Malware infection it will possibly undo any help we give you, thus making it a waste of time to try to correct anything now. In fact, it is highly possible the malware is actually causing all your problems. We won't attempt to fix your Windows problems until the Malware experts give your machine a clean bill of health, so please take the advice we give you and visit the links we posted.

makai

Bomberofdoom

Bomberofdoom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I didn't explain myself clearly enough, but I wanted to say that I have went through all of the steps in the Start Here page, going through all the programs and software to get rid of any potential malware, and so I did.

Since I figured the Malware problem has been fixed, and this is more of a NON-MALWARE or AFTER-MALWARE problem, I thought that this is the right forum to report this.

THe Aug 25 post was when I had it, before going through the Start Here and, I say again, I already passed that stage. I didn't want to make a post with the logs because I figured that I need to be asked first to give the log if I create a topic there, and so I didn't because I figured the malware problem is over.

If you'd like me to send the log post in the malware forum, I'll do it.

I guess I need much more specific guidance before I even confront my problem. Maybe i needn't mention the previous malware problem at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Even though the scans you ran in Start Here section may have cleared out the infection. There still could be hidden problems caused by the infections that only deeper scans and more intense programs that only the Malware Techs can utilize.
We are not saying our help will not do any good but only that until we are all clear that your system is healthy then what we may do may not help at all.

Bomberofdoom

Bomberofdoom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'll post in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan forum my logs.