Windows XP Proffesional Service Pack 3.
Intel Pentium IV 3.47 Ghz
1.00 GB RAM
ZOTAC NVidia GeForce 6200 256MB 64BIT DDR2
160 GB Harddisk memory.
I use IE8.
Ok, I am really pissed off at this problem....
About 3 days ago I was fighting against a malware problem, presumably an mset.exe problem. Thanks to MBAM, I was able to get rid of it (or soo MBAM, PreVX and SpyBot say).
But I am still experiencing some annoying issues in my computer after this malware problem has been "solved".
Here are some of the syptoms:
- My Computer takes too long to load, than when it normaly does (about a minute, instead of 5 sec).
- The computer won't shut down or restart unless I take drastic measures.
When I go to start-> Turn Off Computer -> Turn Off/Restart, it will show the desktop, the desktop icons would "refresh" and then nothing happens. I try it several times, several things happen:
a. Sometimes the "No Antivirus Protection" Red shield will show up, while it was supposed to at the start up.
b. Some processes shut down, one by one, everytime i press shut down. If I use the computers shut down button (the physical one) every press does so too, and eventually the computer will shutdown (or get stuck at the blue screen with the saving settings message).
I noticed that I can still operate normally in my computer after I pressed the shutdown button once. I've also noticed from the Task Manager that when i call a shutdown/restart there's some random process, never the same, that for some reason takes up 50 or more % of the CPU. Pressing the shutdown button again will probablly kill the process or some other one. I usualy have 50+ process on my computer, and when I reach ~40 processes left in my manual shutdown attempts, the computer shuts down from that point automaticly.
- For some reason, in my Gmail, my Gmail Chat box gets screwed up - I see the same username in the chat list several times, and in the inbox I sometimes am not able to see my email because it is stuck in "Still Working" message. Of course I had those messages before, but it wouldn't get STUCK on it.
- My internet connection is fine all the time, yet several times when I move to different addresses in IE I get a timeout page. Loading the internet explorer takes a little too long IMO (+15 sec instead of 5).
- One of my games, Flight Simulator 2004, freezes in mid-game. Never had this error before.
I believe that all of these problems have something to do with that my RAM is being overused and/or something is messing with the processes on my computer and delaying them.
I have already taken some measures in trying to fix some of these errors, but with no success.
I want to do a memory check for the RAM, but I currently have no flash drive to use. Any application I could use on Windows normally?
I would really appreciate your help, as this forum has apparently already solved one part of this Malware mystery.
Thanks in advance!
Edited by Bomberofdoom, 28 August 2009 - 11:25 AM.