Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No DVI Signal For Asus VH222h

• Please log in to reply

ckaz

ckaz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have started my first system build and so far things have been going pretty good, but I have hit one setback that I just can't pass. I have my rig built to the point that all of my internal components are in and it boots normally. The next step is to start installing my software and drivers, and configure my BIOS. My vid card is the Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 1gb, my motherboard is the Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, and my case is the coolermaster CM 690. The card has the options of VGA, DVI, or HDMI, and my monitor is the same. I would like to use DVI but upon connecting the cable, I couldn't get a signal. I then tried the VGA, still no signal. I know my vid card and monitor are getting power because they can both turn on. I need to get this issue fixed ASAP, and if possible lets avoid a RMA :)

WHAT DO I DO

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

I have my rig built to the point that all of my internal components are in and it boots normally.

Something's confusing me with your post. When you say "boots normally", does this mean you can see the bios screen? Also, you mention you're ready to install "software, drivers and configure your Bios"... Did you already install Windows, or is the "software" you're referring to Windows itself?

Please clarify as your post is a little confusing. Thanks!

ckaz

ckaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
By boot normally, I meant that everything would turn on. Nothing doing with the bios, because my monitor isn't working.

Yes by Windows Vista is part of what I meant by software. No, it has not yet been installed.

I actually found out the solution to my problem. The cable, monitor, and vid card were all different DVI's (DVI-I, DVI-D, dual/single link etc.)

You could still help me out though, I don't quite now how to make my monitor, cable, and vid card all compatible. Which DVI pin configuration should I get (DVI-D single link, etc.), and because my monitor and vid card accept different ones, how do I get something that is compatible for both.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, you have three choices...
You find out what your monitor requires and go with that, or, you find out what your vid card requires and go with that.

If you stay with your monitor, and it requires a cable that doesn't work with the vid card, then you have to change the vid card.

If you stay with the vid card and it's cabling doesn't match the monitor, then you have to change the monitor.

The third choice is you find a cable adapter to work with both... if one exists.

You posted the vid card part/model number, but you didn't post the monitor part/model number. I can look up the vid card, but that alone won't help to determine compatibility with the monitor. You need to post the monitor info also.

EDITED... just noted that you have your monitor listed in the title. However, I didn't guess it to be a monitor... it could have been anything.

In any case, there are DVi-I to DVi-D adapters available on the web... Amazon.com carries some... you just have to choose the right gender on each end.

ckaz

ckaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, so my monitor is a DVI-D dual link, and my vid card is a DVI-I dual link. Could you provide a link for an adapter that will cover this?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I already gave you a link to Amazon... there's a few adapters at the bottom of the page. HERE's another.