Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full Backup External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

LavCea

LavCea

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My external hard drive is 1TB and there is no more room for future backups. Can I delete old backups? The backups go as far back as January 09 and I want to make sure I don't kill something in the process of simply deleting the old backups.

How do I safely remove the old backups?

Also, right now I'm using the basic windows backup installed on my computer and I own Nero's BackItUp. Would it be beneficial to get the most out of my software and use Nero? Will it make a difference?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

jjawm

jjawm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Old backups can be deleted, the only reason I would keep more than two recent ones is if I had any doubts, i.e. corrupted backup or needed data that was removed from my computer that I might need later. You can delete them just the same as you would from your hard drive, highlite and delete. I use the backup utility in windows it's just as good as any in my opinion, jja

One more thing, make sure you scan for viruses & malware before you backup so you don't save them.

LavCea

LavCea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thank you for the reply. This helps.

jjawm

jjawm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Not a problem, you're welcome and good luck, jja