Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding RAM help (old mobo)

• Please log in to reply

geekstome

geekstome

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello..

I'm going to upgrade my RAM from 512mb to 1gb, so I decide to buy an "used" RAM from someone via internet..
My motherboard is ASUS P4GE-MX and the current RAM is Kingston DDR-333 PC2700 512mb and the RAM that I'm going to buy is RAMBO DDR-333 PC2700 512mb..

Question is, I know it's possible to pair both RAM into my motherboard, but I'm not sure about the compatibility issues.. Will my system be conflicted after I pairing up the RAM since both RAM have different brands..

Enlighten me pls..
Thanks..

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello again Geekstome
Maybe this will help. Follow the next steps and it will give you all the compatible configurations for your system.

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

geekstome

geekstome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there again...

Based on the web given, it said that is no compatibility issues will be arise if I'm pairing rams with different brands..

I think it's clear to me now..
btw , this is the ram that i'm going to buy
Posted Image

so hope the ram will running smooth with my system..
thanks rshaffer61
u helped me again ..
thanksss..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would make sure it is good memory.
Buying anything used like ram is very risky.

urbrojr

urbrojr

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Some questions re: Ram compatibility can be found by going to Crucial which is I think is Crucial.com. They will do a test of your machine and tell you which memory is compatible with your machine. I did it today and it told me the chips that would work in my machine. I bought some memory from them in the past and as I recall they were very helpful. URBROJR

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Even though the specs are the same, mixing manufacturers can be an issue. Unfortunately you will not know till you put the ram in. if you start having problems, then remove it and see if the problems go away. the issues created by ram are quite extensive, but mainly intermittant booting, failure to boot, lockups, program failures, etc.

Let us know know how you make out.