Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista can not start up

• Please log in to reply

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
okay normally during boot up you have whatever make your comp is unless its costum built.

The key to go into the bio's is normally.

"F2" Or "Delete" in some case's.
If your computer loads ungodly fast.

>:3

Push that button non stop.
xD

Then when you are in the bio's depending on the set up you are looking for something that will change how your hard drive is being read.
Or in general looking for the key words.

"IDE" - "AHCI" as kinda a pointer.
"Sata" is one to look for also.

Advertisements

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay im in the setting I found the IDE configuration, Sata controller working mode and start easy flash. Not really sure what to do here?

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Change the IDE to read as something else like IDE to Sata or IDE to AHCI

=3
See if that boots it up.

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I cant seem to find that option I look everywhere but I cant find the options to change the IDE? I'm really confused :\.

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think I just made things worse :), I try changing the IDE from auto to none and I cant find the Hard drive!

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay I got the harddrive detected again, All I had to do was update the bios. Anyway I dont think I can find the option to change the IDE settings. All I could find to change was "AHCI" to "compatibilty", Now I found this when it was booting "boot/bcd" error. So I will try to use the recovery cd again and see if that will fix it.

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I used the recovery disk but no luck, It said that it finished fixing it, but it never works. Anyone out there got any ideas?

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am running windows vista and this morning I woke up to the same issue as you :-( computer boots up but only have a black screen and the arrow! And my wife has tons of pics and what not on the computer. I can't do a system restore because it said that it can't find a restore point. I have no flippin idea what to do :) Any way to hook that computer up to my laptop and transfer pics and stuff onto my laptop?

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
You can create a Ubuntu Live CD and transfer pictures using the Live CD.
http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download

Once you burn the ISO to a disk you can boot to it and access your files.

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It really works too, I was able to get all my data out, but some of your files might have been corrupted, so you might not be able to get all of your files. Plus does anyone know how to do a format cause I want to clear out the whole drive and just install windows xp to the [bleep] thing(I never want to use vista again :) ).

Advertisements

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Holy crap I did it, I found out how to fix it finally! On the vista dvd when you click repair it loads vista installation after that you can find an option to "load driver" from that you can see the folders that are on the disk. Tn that disk under the folder windows you can find the folder "boot". With that copy the folder go to your hardrive/Windows and replace the boot folder from the disk.

Edited by Graem, 12 September 2009 - 03:41 PM.

Graem

Graem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well the computer works okay but it's seem to be slower than usual, does that mean something happen to the harddrive or did something happen to somewhere else?