Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected laptop reboots automatically on startup; MBAM and SDFix won&a

• Please log in to reply

engynyr

engynyr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an infected Dell laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3. On startup, it displays a System Shutdown pop-up with a one-minute timer and the message, "The system process C:\Windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code -1073741482. The system will now shut down and restart."

When I booted it into Safe Mode, I found AVCare (which I removed). Spybot S&D also caught Monopod attempting to set a startup item in the registry (which I blocked). There's more garbage on the system, because it still reboots itself.

I booted it again into Safe Mode (logged in as Administrator) and tried installing SDFix and MBAM from a flash drive. I was able to install both of them, but they both crash when I run them. SDFix crashes right after I type "Y" to start the scan, and crashes explorer.exe along with it. I was able to start MBAM after installing, but it crashed as soon as I clicked "Start Scan", and I when I try to run it again I get the message, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Any help would be very much appreciated.

More information as of 9:30 PM:

HijackThis also will not run. Firefox and IE7 are both get redirected away from anti-virus and anti-spyware sites (like Trend Micro House Call). In some cases the browsers crash. I installed Google Chrome to try to get a clean browser, and it won't bring up any web pages at all.

Edited by engynyr, 30 August 2009 - 07:32 PM.

Advertisements