Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer gets stuck in a restart loop

• Please log in to reply

rbsander

rbsander

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My computer seems to get stuck in a restart loop. It was making it to the desktop a few days ago, but now it never makes it to the XP load screen. I do not get error messages. When it loads up it gets to the hp screen that says F10 to go to recovery(I have a hp computer with a recovery D:)When I try to recover the system it loads up and even makes it to the menu for the recovery process. I can choose to start the recovery but no matter what I do the system will be off in a matter of seconds.(then it continues to reset until I unplug it for a few minutes)
I took the hard drive and put it into a older computer and it makes it to the screen that ask me safe mode, last known working config, and normal mode. No matter what I select it goes black and resets.
I did boot the old computer with the problem hard drive as a slave and got the files I needed off the problem hard drive)

Nothing seems to be over heating all three fans run and everything feels cool, I even tried unplugging power to my disk drives (which just gets me a new screen telling me that they are not there and then continues to do the same thing when I tell it to continue).

At this point I would just like to get the computer to a running condition. I have also been looking for my xp operating disks(I have some somewhere, but not for this computer just an operating system disk) but I fear that the computer may not even stay on for me to run that.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions of anything I could try.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did this and the hard drive passed the short test just find no errors, however, I cant get either computer to stay on long enough to run the long test or the acoustics test.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You may have failing power supply, I believe.

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Is there any way I could check the power supply before purchasing a new one? By the way I appreciate you taking time to help me.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Is there any way I could check the power supply before purchasing a new one?

You don't want to go to computer shop, since you can get new PSU for $20.

rbsander

rbsander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah I just saw that I can get my particular unit from newegg for $20. Thanks a lot for the help I think I'm going to order one and try that thanks again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)