Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Switch

• Please log in to reply

mizark70

mizark70

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I bought a cheap external Sata case and it has a switch on the back. I was wondering if anyone knew what it was for. Also it doesnt have any holes for air to get to, should i leave the end cap open so it will let some heat out?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What is Sata case? Hard drive enclosure?

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
its a sata harddrive so i got a sata hard drive enclosure. Sorry for the confusion.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That switch on the back is most likely power switch. I assume, it's self-powered enclosure. In that case, you should have two cables: USB, and power cable.
Some have also USB/firewire switch.
Cheaper enclosures don't have any vents, but since it's standalone unit, heat shouldn't cause any issues here.
I hope, it's not Maddog brand, because they don't last long. Two of them failed on me in a span of couple of months.

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No its not Maddog, its cheap no name brand. Paid 12 bucks for it on ebay.Its aluminum so i may just get a drill and drill a couple of small holes in the sides just to be safe. when i turn the switch it will act like it will want to cut off but then turns back on for a sec then off again. It will do this for a few seconds and then ill stop it cause im afraid its gonna mess up the hard drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Do you have 2 separate cables going to the case?
In other words, do you have a USB/firewire cable AND a power cable?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

im afraid its gonna mess up the hard drive

There is a good chance, it may happen.
You can get brand new one, starting at about $20.

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Do you have 2 separate cables going to the case?
In other words, do you have a USB/firewire cable AND a power cable?

yes.

it crapped out on me last night though. it has a short in the hardware and anytime the cable gets moved it will cut off and on. So i will be searching for a new one. Any suggestions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I just bought this one yesterday: http://www.radioshac...oductId=3301967
40 bucks. It even has front panel vent.

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
so i ordered a hard drive case and it said it was eSATA and when it came it the connecters are different than what goes on the hard drive. I didnt know there would be a differnce. is there anything i can buy to convert it so i dont have to get another case?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
There surely are eSATA to SATA cables: http://www.satacable...nal_cables.html, but I'm not sure how you're going to pack them into that HD enclosure.

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
after lookin at the connecters it looks to be IDE instead of esata, so the had the box labeled wrong or put the wrong hardware in the box. So i could send it back or just buy the converter, which will probably save me a few bucks. and the case i got is about 2 inches longer than the hard drive itself cause of the hardware so i may be able to fold the wires in there somewhere.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Whatever works...:)

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the help Broni.