Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems port forwarding..

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Okay, so I have an airport extreme router and I'm pretty sure I have a static IP, since every time i restart it, I get the same IP address.

Anyways, I'm trying to forward port 3460. I go to "port mapping" and this is what I enter:

Posted Image

The IP that is under the private IP address is the localhost for my router. I also tried setting it to my regular ip, but either way the port wasn't open.

Then, I try to access the port by checking it using a site that checks if a port is open. I've tried a bunch of different sites, and none can connect through 3460, plus the application I'm trying to use can't connect through 3460.

Some port checking sites can't even connect through 21 which is weird because I use ftp all the time for my web server.

What am I doing wrong?

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
I believe under the private ip you need to put the ip of your computer since that is where you want the info forwarded to and from. As it is now, the router has no way of knowing where to send the packets. Let me know if this works

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Hm, it doesn't let me change the box with private ip address in it. Like, I'll change the ip to my regular internet IP and then once I click update the router, which restart it, it resets to 10.0.1.161.

10.0.1.161 is also the default ip when you open the port mapping screen, so I think it's right.

Also, my AV and Firewall have been off throughout this process.

Edited by MR0624, 29 August 2009 - 04:08 PM.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
When I go to port mapping, there's also various preset ports that I can forward. For example, instead of doing custom, like I must do for port 3460, I can choose FTP Access, and it puts in the settings for me.

I tried doing this, and according to "PFPortChecker" from portforward.com, 21 still isn't open. I am restarting the router in between each check, also.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
can you do an ipconfig /all and post the results so I can see the internal network configuration

The port check for 21 probably fails because it doesnt get a response back. In other word, it really cant tell if its connected to anything since I'm doubting your computer is set up as a ftp server (not positive).

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go here: http://portforward.com/, select your router, and you'll get step-by-step help.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
The program I'm forwarding for isn't on there - it's Posion Ivy RAT, since I'm trying to manage my school computer at home.

Anyways, I choose random programs and went over the instructions for port forwarding using my router and they were the same steps that I followed.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Also, here's my ipconfig /all

Posted Image

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How do you check if the port is open, or not?

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I've used http://www.canyouseeme.org/

I've used Port foward's port checker : http://www.portforwa...p/portcheck.htm

The application I'm running is not getting any connection signals on the listen client, which it normally should, since it tries to receive updates from the server ocassionally.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not familiar with your application, but I know, those port checking sites don't work for me.
I have couple of ports open, and I know, they work, but whenever I check those ports through web sites, those tools say, my ports are closed.
Go figure.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
For private IP you need 10.0.1.200 Thats your computers IP. when the router recieves information flowing in on that port it needs to know where to send it otherwise it will just reject it. Thats the whole point of port forwarding, the router forwards the info on. Its the same when sending info. I'm not familiar with your router but most have a save change or enable button but they usually wont restart as yours does. I have no idea what is at the ip 10.0.1.161 or why its defaulting to that

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Great, now the TCP port is open according to the places i've checked, however UDP isn't, and the application isn't running as it should yet.

I've considered that I set it up wrong, but I've followed several tutorials and they do the same things. Ex:

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I changed a setting in the application and it looks like everything is working - I guess I only needed the TCP port.

Thanks guys!

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Good, you might want to make that a your computer have a static IP to avoid having to redo the setting on the router