Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer pranks

• Please log in to reply

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Anyone know of any harmless, easy-to-implement pranks that can be played on the average computer user, just for a few laughs? Keep them appropriate and according to the TOU, please :)

I once changed my friend's screensaver to a BSOD. That was interesting :)

Edited by Chopin, 29 August 2009 - 05:31 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually microsoft has one on their technet site HERE
Is that what you wanted?

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
I actually happen to know a few that you can perform to make you look like a genius and the user not (these will only work on noobs and most old people).

1. Unplug the computer. This can stump most people.

2. Disable everything in msconfig, that is, uncheck load system services, uncheck load startup items. This will blank out the internet disable themes and desktop background. Nothing will be running either.

3. With some antivirus you can set them to be off for 15 minutes or something. When someone goes out for a second turn their av off for fifteen minutes and seed the computer with eicar. When the user comes back and the av turns on there will be an explosion of alerts.

4. Take a screenshot of the desktop by hitting print screen >>> CTR + c then copy it into paint and save, set it as the desktop background. Unlock the taskbar and drag in so that it is invisible. Then cut all the icons and stuff off the desktop and put them in a folder somewhere else (that way you can just copy everything back). When the user tries to click on internet explorer, nothing happens.

5. You can set the wait pointer as the main pointer and then the mouse pointer as the waiting. Then if you set the homepage of the browser to about:blank it will look like the computer is not responding. This works best on old computer with people that are used to not responding applications.

6. Unplug the monitor or the internet cable.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

4. Take a screenshot of the desktop by hitting print screen >>> CTR + c then copy it into paint and save, set it as the desktop background. Unlock the taskbar and drag in so that it is invisible.

That's a classic! :)

#5 made me smile, I've never heard of that one before. Will have to try that in my school's library sometime :)

Anyone got any other good ones?

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I'm going to have to try this one the next time I'm in a bad mood :)

Incorrect

If the victim uses Microsoft Word, go into the victim’s computer and change the auto-correct feature so it misspells common words. Just open Word, choose “AutoCorrect Options” from the Tools menu, and have it replace common words like “the” and “and” with wacky words like “eggplant” or “Uranus.” Be creative.

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
I like that!

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Try these
A compilation of some

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow.

Could be Left or Down arrow too.

Up arrow restores the screen.

snowchick7669

snowchick7669

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Put tape under the mouse covering the laser.

My manager has yet to be the victim of that :)

We did the screen twist for April Fools, was a rather funny sight

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow you people are all so nasty! :)

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
It's my job. *flexes*

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i wrote a VB app once that was basically a screen shot of one of the office girl's outlook open and maximized (it was actually a bunch of screen shots)...i renamed it to outlook.exe and put it in the proper folder so that it would run when she would try to run her real outlook...i placed invisible buttons over all of the places where you'd normally click in outlook (file, new, etc... etc..)...i even made a fake "new" email template...so when she pressed the button to make a new email it would open up a new form that looked like she was typing an email...any time she tried to close the app it would re open itself... after about 20 minutes a timer triggered a form to open that looked like a new email from her computer wondering why she was so mean to it (as if the PC was emailing her and having a conversation)...every time she'd close that it would open a new "email" from the computer asking why she was ignoring it and if she was angry with it or not....it was pretty funny....this went on for at least 15 minutes before she freaked out and came to my desk (where i was laughing uncontrollably by this point)

also...if it's not disabled...net send is great on a network for doing the same as above...especially if you've got a direct line of sight to the user you're messaging...send them a fake error message for the first couple...then once they close those out...start sending messages as if you're the computer wondering why they're ignoring it....having the "computer" threaten to commit suicide is often pretty effective too....i used to do this at the hospital i used to work at....i had a nurse petting her monitor and talking nice to the PC for about 15 minutes before she figured out someone was messing with her

i've also got sole control of the firewall and webfilters...so i turn people's internet connections off quite frequently for comedy or retribution....or i'll redirect all of their web traffic to www.disneychannel.com or something like that

snowchick7669

snowchick7669

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Haha!

That is genius! Seriously :)

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Yes, it is genius. I wish I could program and all that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to be perfectly honest....the outlook thing was pretty crappy programming...anyone with half a brain would have figured it out long before this girl did....she's just dumber than a box of rocks