Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question regarding Windows 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused with Microsoft's language describing an upgrade from Vista to Win7 and what constitutes an upgrade and which would be the right package for me.

I currently operate Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I am happy with the ultimate version of vista and I'd like to stay with the ultimate version for windows 7. However, I'm a bit confused as to which product I want to pre-order right now. Do I want the Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade or do I want the Windows 7 standalone?

Now here is where the language confusion comes in. I consider myself upgrading my operating system, but I want to completely reformat my hard drive and have a clean partition for the new operating system. Call it an OCD thing, but I cannot stand to know I'm installing on top of an OS. Besides, I've procrastinated reformatting this PC (which is in dire need of one) knowing my intent to do it in October when Win7 finally releases. So microsoft's language says Win7 Ultimate upgrade is for installing FROM vista but in my case Vista will be erased as I install. I ran the Upgrade advisor from Microsoft and it said under the "Upgrade" category that my PC was "Available" to upgrade.

So am I reading too much into the description here or do I need to shell out the extra $100 for the standalone version simply because I'm reformatting first.

Thanks for the help everyone

Edited by Novaprospekt, 29 August 2009 - 04:44 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Upgrade disk is more or less useless. The only thing, you do with it is to upgrade, and then you can throw it away.
I always prefer full version and clean install vs upgrade.
Full version will also allow you to perform some other tasks, like OS repair.

Now, for regular computer user, Win 7 Home Premium is perfectly enough, and much cheaper than Ultimate version.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Oh ok then I'll go with the full version then and yeah getting the ultimate is more of "I have to have the best version" complex I have.

But considering money is tight I think I'll take your advice and get the home premium full version

Thank you for your help!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)
As a home user, you won't miss anything by not buying Ultimate.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
I ordered 7 home edition during the pre-order phase.
sense both can run either 32x or 64x I went with the cheapest.

ltshaunbrownuk

ltshaunbrownuk

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I ordered 7 home edition during the pre-order phase.
sense both can run either 32x or 64x I went with the cheapest.

i though both x32 and x64 where the same price and you get both in the same box

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They do both come in the same box, but you can only install one or the other...not both. :)

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Sorry if I confused you I didn't word it that well.

x3