Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"You have a virus" infection

• Please log in to reply

ilovemath

ilovemath

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My husband received a popup message on his Gateway laptop running Windows Vista that indicated he might have a virus. He did not notice that the message was not from his Antivirus software (ZoneAlarm) and clicked scan. The scan indicated no problems.

When he told me about it, I advised him to run a scan with ZoneAlarm as the fake message may have installed some form of malware on his computer. ZoneAlarm did not find any problems. When he next booted his computer a few days later, he found that it was excruciatingly slow. Given that he has had this problem before, I suspected we needed to do some clean up work to remove unnecessary files and programs. (I had forgotten about the possible virus incident a few days earlier.)

I proceeded to Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel and asked it to Uninstall BigFix a program which came with the Gateway computer. It slowly did this. Given the lateness of the hour, I selected Shutdown and left the computer to shutdown.

Today, when the computer was booted, it popped up a message that it was unable to boot and suggested launching Windows boot repair which we did. (The only other option was Launch Windows Normally. Safe Mode was not a choice.) The Microsoft logo and green rotating lines appeared then the screen went black and the computer froze. Rebooting results in the same two choices and neither works.

I tried to boot the computer with the Recovery CDs I had made for the computer. The CD/DVD drive spins and tries to launch but then reverts to the same two choices. Something is preventing the Autolaunch. When I put the recovery CD in a different computer, it immediately launches.

Do you think this is a virus/malware issue or an issue of corrupted files on the hard drive? Since I cannot boot the computer in any way, I cannot make any attempt to identify the type of virus or to fix the problem.

Any suggestions you can give would be much appreciated!

Advertisements