Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Am I overheating?

• Please log in to reply

Chazz K

Chazz K

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I've recently noticed my CPU fan has been running more than usual, and seeing the temperature using Everest, when I'm idling it's going anywhere from 50-55, and when I go into a CPU heavy game (the worst offender seems to be City of Heroes) it spikes anywhere 66-70 Celsius.

My processor is an AMD Atlhon 64 X2 Dual 6400+. Ventilation isn't an issue, I have an open-sided case with plenty of fans and this hasn't happened before. I'm nervous because the official AMD specs say that the maximum temperature should be 63C, but other posts around the web have people saying that 65-70 is fine, some even saying they constantly max out at 75 or over with no problems; I was hoping to get a non-partisan opinion.

Also, I recently upgraded to the ATI Radeon HD4870, specifically this model, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102825 . Would that thing's extra power and heat be directly affecting the CPU? Especially since the sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy SE) is in the slot next to it, partially blocking about 1/4 or 1/3 of the fan? There's still at least half an inch or so of space between them.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

other posts around the web have people saying that 65-70 is fine

Those people probably don't post anymore, at least not from the same computer :)
As you said, max temp for your AMD is 63C, and you shouldn't be running the computer, if the temps get close to 60C.

What's your PSU wattage?
I'd also suggest reapplying thermal paste.

Chazz K

Chazz K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The PSU is currently a 600W, but the workload is the equivalent of 800W. Would a better/reapplied thermal paste actually cause that great a temperature difference?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

but the workload is the equivalent of 800W

Did you use something like Power Supply Calculator: http://www.journeysy...ower_calculator to establish that?

Would a better/reapplied thermal paste actually cause that great a temperature difference?

Nobody will guarantee it, but it won't hurt.