Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont start and wont display logon screen

• Please log in to reply

iceyhot7

iceyhot7

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello
Just recently my computer has not been fully starting. It happened when i downloaded some bad files and some weird stuff started happening and then explorer had an error in it causing it to be terminated. I tehn shut my computer down and tried to restart it and got this message.

STOP: c000021a {0xc0000022}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

I have been looking on your site and have tried all the ways listed to try and get it running again. Last known good config (multiple times), starting in safe mode, starting in safe mode command prompt. Nothing. Although it seems to start up in safe mode but only has a black screen with white letters of "Safe Mode" and my some computer info and the top middle.

I have looked at multiple threads about this topic and didnt find one that was directly like my problem. I fear that the only way to restore my computer is to reinstall windows xp.
Please help me this computer has too much information on it to be wasted.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello iceyhot7.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

If this doesn't tell us anything we can do a repair installation. It sounds like you may have got a infection so once we can get the system booting again then you will need to take a trip to the malware forum to be checked out

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It sounds like the files you downloaded had a virus and they reset the permissions to the OS.

This is what MS has to say.http://support.micro...om/?kbid=137400

I would go to our malware forum and see if they can help, and then return here if needed.
A link to the forum is in my signature.

From auhma.org:

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

If, as SybrCLock suspects, there is an infection it would explain much; even your administrative account could have been compromised.

I would also try running your virus scanners and malware scanners.

EDIT: Added more info.

Edited by 123Runner, 30 August 2009 - 06:40 AM.

iceyhot7

iceyhot7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ran the test last night for a good 10 hours. Nothing is wrong in the memory and the test passed 100%.

So now what do i do? Please help me, thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and if no results then I would suggest going through malware forum and make sure your system is not infected.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

If this doesn't show any results then do the following:

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

iceyhot7

iceyhot7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well thank you for your help. It is definitely an infection. I just didnt know where to put it at first.

I dont think ill be able to follow your advice on this because i can't get to run or the command prompt.

I do think that i will just reformat the computer seeing as its 5 plus years old and has too much stuff on it.

Thank you for your help.
iceyhot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about the DATA?
Is there any you want to save?