Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

does each external harddrive have unique ID

• Please log in to reply

sauravrk

sauravrk

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i have bought 3 external transcend hard drive. i use one and gave other 2 to my brothers. the colors are same so how can i identify my own drive. does it have unique ID so that i can recoginize mine despite there are many things to recognise mine like marking it. but i wanted to know if every hardrive has unique ID like computer or not? if yes then how to know that?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Every hard drive has a distinctive Volume Serial Number, with the chances of any two drives you encounter having the same serial number astronomically high. For this reason, the Volume Serial Number is often used as part of copy protection schemes. One caution is that operating system re-installations and upgrades may change a Volume Serial Number, and formatting certainly will.