Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First build; stable CPU cooler weight/stress on mobo?

• Please log in to reply

jab123

jab123

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm going to be constructing my first build soon and I'm concerned about the weight of the CPU cooler applying immense stress to the mobo. My first PC was an old socket 478 from 2004 with no cooler so I don't have any experience in this area. I was contemplating purchasing the 92mm Scythe SCSMZ-1100 which only weighs 355g. Is that a fair weight?

The CPU in question is a Q9550, and the motherboard I'm going to purchase is either going to be the ASUS P5Q Turbo or the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.

Also, on a irrelevant note if the motherboards 'tested memory' in its manual states certain brands for modules, does that mean the board will not recognize a different pair of modules? I didn't think so, but figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Weights isn't an issue with a HSF (CPU fan). they are all designed to work with the motherboard allowing it to stay in place and not damage any components.
This is because most coolers have what are called bards that go through the back of the motherboard through mounting holes and the barb once through the mounting hole will expand and stop the cooler coming out.

Doing so allows you to mount any cooler in most positions without any problems. the main issue people look for is usually the mounting method. Some can take large amounts of time to install and others are fussy about were and how they are attached.

For an LGA CPU I would recommend a Titsn Fenrir TTC-NK85TZ. It provides exceptional cooling for an LGA775 chipset and is fairly easy to mount. . Most can be fairly noisy but using a simple program like Speed fan will allow you to reduce the speed of the fan and therefore the noise levels.

As for your memory most manufacturers have a memory tester on their website that will allow you to check the compatibility of memory modules with your motherboard.
for example the Corsair website HERE allows you to select your Product type and then select your motherboard. Then it will fidn the most sauitable memory for your board.

:)

jab123

jab123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the help. :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
No problem :)