Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Out of Range' message when connected via VGA switch box

• Please log in to reply

DjFonti

DjFonti

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello all... :)

I just bought a VGA switch box so I can connect my PC + Xbox to the VGA slot on my monitor.

Everything worked fine. First time.

Second time, when the PC finishes booting, before it displays the desktop the screen goes black and it says 'Out of range'

It is a cheap VGA switch box connected to the monitor via a fancy VGA lead (Fisual Pearl) and has the PC connected to it via the cheap bundled VGA lead.

The monitor works fine when the VGA leads are connected direct to it from the PC. I don't understand how first time it can work fine and then develop this annoying error....

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405

Board: Acer EM61SM/EM61PM

Monitor: Asus VH242

Switch Box: Konig VGA Splitter Switch

VGA leads, Fisual Pearl 2m VGA lead, and one standard one bundled with monitor.

Edited by DjFonti, 30 August 2009 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

I have a feeling this could be a colour or refresh issue on your PC.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Personalization > Display settings

Then click Advanced settings. Finally click on Moitor and change the refresh rate to 60Mhz

It may not work because as you say its works OK without the box

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks for the reply Rev.

You are thinking along the right lines. I feel the either the new (Fisual Pearl) VGA lead or the switch box is causing either the refresh rate or the resolution to be set to a greater one than what my monitor can take. My monitor supports resolutions up to 1920x1080.

What the dodgy item was doing is (I think) was setting the resolution to 1600x1200, which I don't think is supported. The next lower one than that was 1440x900. Usually I have many more options.

I was running it in 1440x900 and went to the monitor tab in the graphics card properties and unchecked the box that was hiding all the other resolutions.

1920x1080 showed again as a result.

I chose this and have booted my PC twice since (through the switch box) and it has worked! However, when it is logging in to the desktop (around the time you hear the Vista startup jingle) the screen goes on and off several times for a few seconds before it finally settles down and works. There is still some conflict there and even though it appears to be working now, obviously it is not ideal as it coul stop anytime again.

I think my best ourse of action is to return the switch box and extra VGA lead I bought, and buy a new graphics card with DVI output, connecting my monitor to the PC via DVI.

However, I only have a 250watt PSU.

Have you (or anyone) any recommendations for an inexpensive PCI-express graphics card with DVI-out that can run on a 250 watt supply?

It doesn't have to be able to run Crysis at 3000fps, all I do on this PC is surf the net really, it can be cheap and cheerful.

I hope you have some recommendations, look forward to your replies.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
OOO OOO PICK ME PICK ME!!!

I've had this problem before the reason for it is cause the Monitor you have can't support the resolution you are trying for.

example.

a 1640 by 790

Can't be supported on a
800 x 600 screen.

XD
I wanted to play battlefield 1942 one day and had this problem.
Its then I broke out the gigantic huge monitor I had in my closet.

8D