Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Printer & Non Wireless PC

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My home network connects to the outside world by wired router, I would like to keep it that way. Due to space limitations, I am looking at getting a new printer. What would I need to establish comms between my pc and a wireless printer without changing my wired router or installing a wireless access point, or is it not possible?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Majority of wireless printers can be configured to connect to an existing router wirelessly without the need for any more hardware. Just feed them your wireless security credentials as needed then install them as a network printer.

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for your reply, but I cant figure how a wireless printer can communicate with a wired router if that is what you are suggesting.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most routers now have wireless capabilities as standard.
If you do not have wireless on your router, you cannot use a wireless printer with it. Wired network printers are available with a higher price tag but the majority of these use toner cartridges which are more expensive compared to inkjets.