Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Transfer of Current Hard Drive to New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

tigger3370

tigger3370

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hi. I'm buying a new 320 GB hard drive to replace my current 80 GB hard drive. My current drive has a c: and d: partition. I understand that I need to clone my old drive to the new drive. Do I have to clone each partition separately and do I have to put two partitions on the new drive? I downloaded DriveImage to do the cloning once I get the drive. Any help would be appreciated. (BTW, I have XP on a HP Pailion and I have no OS disks.)

Thanks,
Jason

Edited by tigger3370, 30 August 2009 - 02:02 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Format the new drive and run the clonning. See what the results are. I can't give you any better advice at the moment but I can assure you that this is what I would have done. There is no danger whatsoever as long as you follow the instructions carefully. If not successful then you can always reformat the cloned disk.