Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply

scottyb26

scottyb26

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have a Dell inspiron 600m running windows xp.

two things happened the other day:
1. my sansa mp3 player was frozen. i connected it via usb to the laptop and the laptop froze up too.
2. a few minutes later i got a little careless and the laptop took a little tumble.

Now it wont boot up. I press F12 for the boot menu and this is what I get:

Error code: 0F00:136C
Msg:IDE device failed: Blank Media or no media is present in optical drive.
Test requires media w/ digital data.

DST short test error code: 1000-0146

Beyond this, starting up the machine, the computer gives the following code and wont go any further:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: ntoskrnl.exe

Any advice with the situation would be great!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Looks like the tumble crashed the hard drive and now the laptop is trying to boot from the CDROM but there is no bootable media in the drive.

When you power up the laptop, do you hear loud clicking noises coming from the hard drive? If so, then it might be crashed.

What you might try is to remove the hard drive, and reseat it. HERE is the maintenance manual for the laptop you specified. Be sure to remove all power before removing/reseating the hard drive.