Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

antivirus that lets users choose what NOT to delete? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm looking for a good antivirus, but not only a good one, I need one that will let me choose what objects I want to spare from being deleted during real time protection, but without having to turn off the real-time protection. I don't want an antivirus that will just delete objects without me being able to prevent it. I want to be able to decide what objects I want to be trusted.

So, I need suggestions

And why do I want that???

Here's the story:

I've had MacAfee full protection or something like that for a long time. It is the most comprehensive version of MacAfee, and so far it has worked well...

But then the problem started.

MacAfee is constantly deleting a file that I need. It sends me a warning that it has a Trojan and it always deletes the file without asking. It drives me nuts. The only way to stop it from deleting it is by turning off the real-time protection, and I don't want to have to turn it off all the time.

Of course there is a trusted list, but there is no way to add any file I want to the trusted list. The only objects that are added to that list are the ones for which MacAfee actually asked me if I wanted to keep them. That's then only way to add objects to that list, if MacAfee asks me if I want to trust them.

But... The MacAfee never asks me if I want to trust that file that I need; it just deletes it as soon as it is decompressed. And there is no way to configure MacAfee to ask me if I want to trust an object; it just chooses when to do it by itself.

Because of this I am changing my antivirus

That's the reason I want another antivirus. I want a good antivirus that lets me choose what objects I want to add to the trusted list, or that I can configure in some way to spare the files that I need from deletion during real-time protection.

I am aware that the more I customize the protection settings, the more vulnerable my system will be. I know very well the consequences of what I want. But I really want an antivirus like that.

Edited by EagerToLearn, 30 August 2009 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello

I don't know of one that will do all your wish list but why don't you try a few and see whether they fit your list of requirements.

Many of them will give you a try out period before you pay for the program.

Here are a couple of free for personal use ones but the free versions come with very little configuration abilities:
  • Avast
  • AVIRA Note: AVIRA free comes with adware that promotes their paid for version each time it updates.
I like Avira but some people find the pop up advertisements each time it updates a bit trying.

This link will take you to site showing comparatives for some anti-virus products. Look at comparatives with caution because one month a program may do well and in another not so well.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Sometimes it comes down to your personal taste. In other words you like a particular product because to you it is user friendly or looks good.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.