Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

verifying NET Framework Installation 3.5 SP1 and other versions

• Please log in to reply

luvpats

luvpats

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello this is my first post and I am not the least bit computer savvy. I still have dial up and a good old P3 700 256MB. I am running XP3 IE8.

The computer actually runs quite well. It has good graphics and a good sound card. Eventually I will get DSL but right now dial up actually does quite well for my knowledge and simple tasks.

Every now and again I have a problem which I don't know how to resolve.

The first problem right now deals with NET Framework. Every time I log into Windows Update I get a prompt to download the 69.2MB update to 3.5 SP1.

I already have that installed on my computer and dependencies work just fine (such as CDBurnerXP).

However I ran a NET Framework verification tool and it shows I don't have any versions of NET Framework installed. I have 2.0 SP2 installed as well. The registry shows that I have ALL versions installed including all updates and security patches. The files are in the right place. And Windows Installer works just fine.

Is there a way to correct the problem that when I go on Windows Update or run the verification tool that it will show that NET Framework is installed or should I chalk it up as an error and ignore? When I run the verification tool it shows that all correct files are also installed but at the end it states that verification failed. So I am kinda confused. Also when I tried to do a repair that failed as well with an error message that I could not open the file vs_setup.msi

If anyone can be of assistance I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Rick

Edited by luvpats, 30 August 2009 - 11:55 PM.

Advertisements