Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Slow System

• Please log in to reply

BlitzkriegMike

BlitzkriegMike

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After doing a bunch of installing and reinstalling of the .NET frameworks and their service packs and cleaning out malware and disk defragging and such i have noticed that my computer is much slower now even when booting up but especially with opening programs and folders. I read somewhere that Resident shields can clash and take up a bunch of CPU and slow the computer down a bunch and i figured that may be the problem. I have AVG antivirus and Spybot S&D both running on here and i've noticed that when i'm opening up folders or programs both the teatimer.exe and avg processes increase in cpu. I've done a virus scan and it's picking up nothing so i'm not sure what could be wrong. By the way, i'm a new guy so if you'd go easy on the tech words it'd be great lol. Thanks.

Edited by BlitzkriegMike, 31 August 2009 - 03:52 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello BlitzkriegMike.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Just a suggestion from your initial post.
Both AVG and Spybot are resource hogs which in turn will slow your system down.
A great alternative to both would be Avast and SuperAntiSpyware.
Below I will supply the info for both programs that are not only FREE but also very easy on the system resources.

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:
It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

Download SupeerAntiSpyware from my signature below

Lastly what did you use to get rid of the infections?
If you did not go through the Malware Forum then you still may be hiding some of the infection which can slow your system down.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

BlitzkriegMike

BlitzkriegMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright thanks i'm downloading the avast right now and i already have SuperAntiSpyware installed. Is their a way you can disable the AVG and the spybot on just my user profile instead of for the whole computer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should be able to do it thru MSCONFIG. Just click on startup and uncheck the AVG and Spybot entries.

Let me know hwo everything runs after doing this.

BlitzkriegMike

BlitzkriegMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh crap! I was going through the malware removal guide and i didn't really have any problems (i might note that after i did ran the TFC it asked me to restart but when it got to the windows is shutting down blue screen it just hung on there. I don't think it was frozen because i could still move the mouse but it didn't do anything. After five minutes i just manually restarted the computer with the button on the front of the tower) MalwareBytes didn't pick up anything and AVG only picked up a few tracking cookies. Windows is all updated and the comp is still slow so i moved on to the next steps of the removal and i downloaded and tried to open RootRepeal but when i did the screen went blue and the text on the screen said it closed windows because it had something that could damage it and said the problem was BAD_ROOT_CALLER. It began dumping physical memory but i manually restarted the comp. I've tried it again and same blue screen. Please help!

Edited by BlitzkriegMike, 31 August 2009 - 05:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try booting the system and go to the boot menu.
Scroll down to the line that says either Last known good configuration that worked or try Safe Mode
To get to the Boot Menu on the second post screen(BLACK) start tapping F8

BlitzkriegMike

BlitzkriegMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Neither last known configuration that works or safe mode worked. They both sent me to the same screen and it said the same thing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this to check the HD:

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

BlitzkriegMike

BlitzkriegMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I got to the welcome to setup screen and pressed r to enter the recovery console it went to a blue screen that said welcome to xp home edition setup and then it went to a black screen that said welcome to the recovery console and it says the path or file specified is not valid and under that is C:\> and then I can type. When I type in chkdsk /r is says the specified drive is not valid or there is no disk in the drive. There was no prompt for a password.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is not good. :)
This usually means the drive has died or is dying. :)
We can try two other suggestions to see if we can save the data at this point.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

Id this does not work then you can try slaving the drive in another system and trying to get the data saved that way. If neither option can get to the drive then the drive is dead.
This would then require the purchase of a new drive. They are not expensive now as a 250 gig HD runs somewhere about 70 to 100 USG depending on the type (IDE or SATA)

Advertisements

BlitzkriegMike

BlitzkriegMike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So when you say back up data do you mean everything in my drive C?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not everything. Just the DATA
Word files
Excel Files