Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to load OS Error

• Please log in to reply

rohn1234

rohn1234

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell 2330 PC that I'm cleaning up to get rid of since I have a new PC. I am running Windows XP Home on it. I had put a second hard drive in it and then I went to remove it and it came up with a media connection error so I went into the bios and reset the system to factory reset. I then had an error that stated that "unable to load OS" and it goes no further. I reloading the Windows XP home from the install disk, still no change.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? I did reinstall the second hard drive also. I don't need to save anything from the 40GB hard drive, just need to get the second 320 hard drive out and save the data on that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) :)

Advertisements

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
If your trying to remove the hard drive with the OS on it you will get that error message and you will need to install the OS on the new hard drive.

But if your just removing the new hard drive ...double check your removing the right one.

Also is it IDE or Sata?
If IDE make sure its set as the Master Slave so it reads properly I know in some case's that if it isn't set as the Master it won't boot a OS.

=3

rohn1234

rohn1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

It's the second drive that I had taken out, not the primary one. What should the jumpers be set at on the primary one? Just want to make sure it's right. Is there a good example of what it should be on the net?

Thanks!

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Normally the hard drive would have a picture on it that tells you what the jumpers should look like.
For me at least when putting it as a main make sure the IDE cable is directly from the boat skip the second plug in and go for the main one.

so it should look like.

Start - skip - Finish.

Skip the middle one and hook it back up.
For me at least that has mattered.
Or you could try tweaking your bio's to read that as a Master.
Give it a try.

Although I'm better if it was in person.

rohn1234

rohn1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok...so I now have another error to work with. I took the second drive out...it's not the os drive and now I have the following error
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
No boot device detected, insert system disk and press F1 to continue or press F2 to setup menu

Any help???

Thanks!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check and make sure you didn't loosen the connection to main drive.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

ok...so I now have another error to work with. I took the second drive out...it's not the os drive and now I have the following error
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
No boot device detected, insert system disk and press F1 to continue or press F2 to setup menu

Any help???

Thanks!!

I had that problem on a laptop I repaired.
No hard drive was attached.

I recommend the same check the hard drive cable.

rohn1234

rohn1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I went and disconnected and reconnected the hard drive....no change....same error message...any other ideas? anything the setup system changes I could do?

Thanks for the help!

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Try a different hard drive it sounds like that one kicked the bucket.
Unless you want to try changing the boot method.

HDMI to IDE ect ect.
Its in the Bio's.