Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk Fail (40) I have tried all of the other solutions, nothing

• Please log in to reply

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok well it froze while I was replying to you.
I loaded the default settings and it loaded successfully, but then I went to reply and started typing and then it froze.

I can't access my game from safe mode because the sound in safe mode has been turned off, therefore directX is not operational at the moment. And if I try to access it while in regular mode, it freezes. But like I said I have had those settings on there for years.

I also remember changing the way things boot in the Bios, in hopes of getting rid of the floppy error.

I did Hard Drive
Optical Drive
USB something
Integrated NIC

I don't know if that could be an issue.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the floppy drive issue fixed?

This video card is just not working correctly.
We have tried to fix everything there is to fix except checking for a infection and replacing the card itself.
The system works fine except when you try to play a game and then everything goes crazy.
As I said before under normal use there are no intense graphics being used.
Once you try the game then the card just freaks out.
Now the last two options we have is to check for a infection (Honestly I don't believe this is the problem)
Replace the video card itself. This seems to be the most logical direction to take.
I am going to ask a fellow staff member to look over this topic and suggest anything I may have missed.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
No, the floppy issue is still popping up.

Ok, well I have run 3 scans with avira and 4 scans with malwarebytes. They haven't found anything.

And are graphics cards returnable, lets just say I were to get one and it was having the same issues, would I be able to return it?

Also there is a computer professional in my area who does a lot of hardware stuff. But I would really not want to go there because I have had to pay $0 so far by using geekstogo.

Edited by yoda76, 02 September 2009 - 10:01 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most hardware is returnable depending on where you purchase it.
A name brand store or a reputable online store will usually have a good return and refund policy.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ok, but you really think the card is shot?

and the floppy error is still coming up.

Edited by yoda76, 02 September 2009 - 11:47 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Before returning the GPU, here's a few things you can try:

Please download and install EVGA Precision from here. (Click on the Download (America) or Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Run EVGA Precision. On the right side, you should see Fan Speed and, beside it, an Auto button. Click the Auto button so that it is no longer selected, then change the Fan Speed to 100%. Now, go to the left side, and on the bottom, click Apply.

If that doesn't alleviate crashes, try this:

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the drivers found here. (I'm having you install drivers that are a little bit older but are known to have less issues than the 190.xx series drivers.)

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

----------------------------

Also, I believe most motherboards will complain of not having a floppy drive if there isn't one installed. So, I don't think this is really a problem. If it's really annoying you, try reading this topic.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok I did that, and the fan is running at super fast speeds right now lol.

I do have to go to work, so I will try it out when I get back.

Will this have any negative effects of running it so fast?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Nope, the only effect is that the card will now be much cooler. :)

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Alright, I'm back, my computer is still functioning fine, I have yet to try out a game though, and sadly enough I have to go out to eat, so I will be back later once again, but I will let you know if the game works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Stettybet0
Let us know hwo it works now yoda76
We will wait for you to get back and try it out later.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also I'm wondering what PSU the system has, make and model please, also include total wattage (W) and amps output on the +12V rail(s).

Troy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will still need to egt into the BIOS and find this annoying Floppy drive problem fix. :)

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok well it crashed, i did everything stettybet0 said to do, and I still crashed..... I was able to be in game for a while and it crashed. Then I downloaded the driver cleaner and did all of that fancy stuff. And it crashed while I was networking.

:) now what?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
How about answering my question? :)

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

How about answering my question? :)

sorry, I completely over read it, I really have no idea how to find all that info. PSU? Wattage? Model? Sorry, I'm not the best with all that stuff.