Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk Fail (40) I have tried all of the other solutions, nothing

• Please log in to reply

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I don't have one. And it says "insert if you have a cd" so I still have the window open. What it wants me to do now is, "install software automatically" or "install from a list or specific location" The automatic one says recommended, but should I even do this setup? This window has been popping up though since we uninstalled the drivers the first time.

Advertisements

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I just don't know where to go from here..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes do automatic. The system is missing something that it needs to run.
Let me know the resultss

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok I'm back, was at work again. Well good thing I have had the set up window open all day :)
So I ran through the process and it installed software for the NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator. I was also thinking of playing a different game other than Call Of Duty 4 and see what happens. But I have been able to run in normal mode all day with no problems, but I haven't played any games.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is this Call Of Duty 4 a store bought one or a downloaded free trial version?

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Call of Duty 4 is store bought, I have the physical disk.
The game I am going to try is Call of Duty 1, I also have the physical disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and please try with lower settings.
I just have to make sure we are dealing with genuine disks and not download as this could be the problem.
Glad to see you have original store bought disk.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok I will do lower settings, and I totally hate downloadable games... haha

By the way, could FPS have anything to do with the crashes because I run the game at about 250 Frames Per Second. And Call Of Duty 1 is my other game I wanted to try and I think it runs at about 30-60 frames per second, the graphics aren't also as good and Call of Duty 4.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you slow COD4 down to about half the FPS?

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Yes I can.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try that then. Most I have read don't even get that so that in itself would push the card I think.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Well I looked up some specifications about the game and found out that the default FPS for CoD4 is 85 fps :) and recommended is 125 fps :)
So I am running at 125 FPS at the moment. I don't want to test it tonight, because I'm tired, and it just (I don't know how to explain it) weirds me out when I get a computer crash. So I will try that out tomorrow.

I also got my gpu down to 50C with the help of that EVGA program!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

and it just (I don't know how to explain it) weirds me out when I get a computer crash.

I know exactly what you mean. I work as a Tech in a computer shop and I have no problems on everyone else's computers. "Here's the bad news... Here's the price".

But when it comes to my own computer, I kind of forget what's going on, my head gets all woozy and I'm like "noooo this can't be happening..." :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hmm... Let's stop worrying about FPS as a source of crashing. The stability of your operating system isn't based on how fast your GPU can render frames of COD4...

Having more FPS doesn't mean the GPU is working harder... Conversely, it typically means the GPU isn't working as hard, since it can easily render frames so quickly. Think of it this way... You may be able to calculate 1+1 many times in a minute, but how many times can you calculate [insert really hard math problem here]? The point is, you might get more "Answers per second" when doing 1+1, but you certainly aren't working hard to get those answers.

Also, it wouldn't make sense for COD4 to have a recommended FPS of 125... The typical LCD monitor can only refresh 60 times per second at most, so you won't actually see any more FPS than that...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am at the point that I believe the video is bad due to the reasons and steps we have taken below.

• The system seems to run fine under normal use
  • The majority of the crashes happen when attempting to play any game
  • The majority of the crashes happen with Nvidia drivers
  • Cooling the GPU with faster fan speeds has proved unsuccessful
  • Downloaded and installed the newest drivers for GPU