Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk Fail (40) I have tried all of the other solutions, nothing

• Please log in to reply

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
hey guys I am so sorry I haven't been on, AP english and AP psychology are giving me a run for my money.
Ok so I was just about to run these diagnostics when I realized, should I do this in regular mode or safe mode? I am guessing safe mode.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Probably should do it in Normal mode as you are going to be changing the way windows boots up normally with the steps suggested.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok well I did it, and upon startup (after I did the msconfig thing you suggested) it froze up just like before. So I am +5 beyond clueless at this point.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You mean the steps outlined in post 103?
Please wait on Stetybet0's reply as he is looking at other avenues I'm sure.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

You mean the steps outlined in post 103?
Please wait on Stetybet0's reply as he is looking at other avenues I'm sure.

Yes, post 103.
And I can wait :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The steps stettybet0 suggested were as a "before this, try this" comment. In this case, I would now suggest to try a system restore to before the problem began, if you are able.

Troy

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I did a system restore at the start of the problem. Do you mean system restore as in, restoring to previous date or full system restore?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The built-in Windows System Restore function, not a format/reinstall.

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Well yes i did do that.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you tried a different card yet?

Advertisements

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok, well I took it to my comp guy, it is the card.

So what I am going to do now is get a new one. Now I want Nvidia, because I don't like ATi. With nvidia there is a GTS model and GTX model, I am thinking of getting one of the GTX cards, would I need a better cooling system for one?? All I have are the fans.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Why would you not "like" ATI? Both manufacturers put out good cards, so if ATI gives you better performance for your dollar, are you going to say no just because you don't like them?

What exact cards are you looking at? And what "fans" and "cooling system" are you talking about exactly?

Cheers

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Well I and my friends have had a bad history with ATi Cards. The card I am looking to get now is the EVGA 260 GTX

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This is a very powerful card, make sure your PSU is up to handling it.

Hopefully this sorts out your problems for good.

Cheers

yoda76

yoda76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
My computer will be able to run it, and my computer guy got rid of the Floppy disk error as well, apparently it was in a menu that I never saw .....

And one more thing before I go, I just heard today that this card won't support direct x 11..... Won't I get an upgrade or something like that?? Or is direct x 11 only going to be used in windows 7 which in that case I won't be getting until a few months afterward but will my card be completely useless whenever I upgrade? Thanks again.