Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is MBAM User Specific?

• Please log in to reply

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
My work is wanting to know about different AV programs. I mentioned that i run MBAM once a month and that it seems to take care of any problems that come up (of course no tool alone can stop or remove everything, but mbam does one heck of a job). Work asked if it has a corporate license available and it turns out that it does. However, work said they do not want it if it runs user specific. My question when MBAM is run as administrator will it pickup on everything for every user? or will it have to be run for each user?

Thanks!

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 31 August 2009 - 11:45 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Like any security program, it will need to be run on each machine. I haven't used it in a corporate environment to be sure, but if it can scan all the computers on the network from the administrator's console then it'd take a while I guess.

Your best option would be to contact support directly.

http://www.malwareby...g/corporate.php

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Keep in mind, MBAM is NOT an AV program.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Malwarebytes Antimalware is not user specific and will scan all accounts on a given machine.

The paid version is awesome and really adds a good layer of real time protection. As the others have said, though, this is not an anti-virus program.

If "work" needs a good AV, point them at ESET Smart Security...they also have corporate licenses available.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I wonder if the corporate version scans machines over the network?

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
hmm.. good question Troy.

Yea I have mentioned Eset's Smart Security to them a couple of times as well.

Ok I feel kinda dumb asking this but how is MBAM not an AV program? is it because it is more reactive than protective?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It is an anti-spyware program, although it covers a lot of other stuff as well. It needs to be run in conjunction with a real-time antivirus scanner.

I run the paid versions of both MBAM and Avira Premium Antivirus, they work lovely together.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
hmm.. i wonder how mbam and eset smart security would run together? but eset smart security has AS built in does it not?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They run together just fine. I have them both installed and running on this machine.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
no performance slow downs or anything? lol i am running 64 bit vista and it is already too slow (in my opinion anyways)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
None that are noticeable...but then I'm running a pretty strong platform.

Both applications have very small footprints.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Bought MBAM Pro last night.. It is SUPPOSED to be running both full scans right now. But I am at work at the moment and wouldn't know the difference. I can tap onto my desktop from work via logmein.com but my laptop is not on that.. (and it is disconnected from internet anyways)

Thanks for that info.. I love MBAM and had been thinking about getting pro for a while now.

But none of that helps with at work.. lol. I am just going to say no to MBAM for corporate environment.

Thanks for the info Everyone!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Did you get in touch with the Corporate team? They may have been able to answer all your questions (convincingly)... :)

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
No I didn't. Our guy that is head over the server side of things said he doesn't want to bother with an AV program that doesn't have AS built in... and I know just how stubborn he is about how things get done on the servers. SO... I'm gonna let that one slide.. quite a shame though...