Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Optiplex GX280 Mini Tower

• Please log in to reply

nwhitmire

nwhitmire

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a few of the GX280 systems from Dell, about 15 of them to be more accurate. Well out of those about 3 are having issues. The processor fan runs out of control and the system will not boot. These systems are out of warrantee but I did manage to chat with a Dell rep to assist me in finding out what the issue is. I know that these are older machines and replacing would be the best idea but we are looking to replace all of our systems in about a year so I'd like to get these working just to hold us over, so that I don't have a mix of systems again(as much as that is possible)

The dell rep thought the problem was probably related to the motherboard, heat sync, and fan. I purchased all three of these items and have installed them into the system. When I turn it on now I don't hear the loud fan but it still does not boot up instead I get the message that the wrong processor is installed. I am using the same processor from my original dell system.

I'm not sure what to try now. Any ideas will be greatly appricated!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome... :)

Are you able to flash the BIOS to the latest version? Assuming that you have the exact replacement motherboard that you need, it's possible it just needs a BIOS upgrade.

Cheers