Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPU Recover Errors

• Please log in to reply

Moshi

Moshi

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Let me start off by introducing you to my PC:

MSI P35 NEO mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E6750
350W PSU
2 x 1 Gigabytes of PC2-5300 memory from Kingston
500 GB Seagate hard drive
LG L227WT 22\" LCD

I bought this computer 22 months ago with ATi Radeon 1950pro 256MB card in it. About a month ago I decided the card is not keeping up anymore and was loooking and searching for a new one. I instantly fell in love with ATi Radeon HD 4770 and bought it. Everything worked flawlessly untill about a week ago when evil himself came into my computer. Only when playing games (it didn\'t matter for how much time, could be 5 minutes, could be 50) everything freezed, sound was looping from last second and after few seconds screen goes black, monitor goes into standby mode and turns on again, goes into standby mode and turns on again and so on. When I finally reach desktop I see the VPU recover screen:

Posted Image

Sometimes it didn\'t even reach the desktop and I had to do a hard reset. But in both cases (when it goes to desktop or if I had to do a reset) windows were working were sluggishly, like in a safe mode.

I boiled my nerves so I went into internet to find something that would kill this evil in my computer. I saw many people have this problem, lots of topics I found but frustratingly none ended in finding a solution or topic just died... So I followed my common sense and tried updating the drivers from 9.3 to 9.8. Didn\'t work. Tried downgrading the drivers to 8.12 and 8.11. Didn\'t work. I nearly gone mad so I decided to just screw it all and format. And I did that on friday, tried playing games, it worked fine. I said to myself \"I did it!\". Next day I was playing Team Fortress 2 (I mostly play Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead and World In Conflict and in all the problem appeared) and noticed that SAME freeze. Luckily it was only for a second. It was not a lonely case I noticed one more in TF2 and L4D the same day. So yesterday I was playing TF2 and it freezes again but it didn\'t go back to normal, but to a black screen... Here\'s a video I shot today while playing TF2 (note that I didn\'t even play for 1 solid minute when it already froze):

Link to video

In the start you can see for the brief moment the freezing screen with looping sound. Couldn\'t record it more because I didn\'t have my camera ready that fast.

I can work after this normally except that sluggish movement and the fact that I can\'t run any 3D application. I guess that graphics card lost connection to drivers or something, like I said it\'s like being in safe mode.

I also made a video when PC is restarting:

Link to video

In the end you can see that sluggish movement I am talking about.

I also made pictures of BIOS in case any of you see anything that might not be allright.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the attachment there is a log file from GPU-Z monitoring. First few seconds I am doing nothing, but then I am trying to run ATITool. As you can see GPU load becomes 99% but ATITool never loads and I have to terminate the process in task manager.

When I try to load Video Card Stability Test, it can\'t run giving this error: Generic application error. ERROR: -2005530518 Source: Initialize3DEnvironment, also when I send VPU recover report I see there is an attachment in a .dat file. If anyone thinks it can be useful [url="http://\"http://www.sendspace.com/file/1m52xt\""]here it is.[/url]
During this weekend when I was able to play, I observed card temperature while playing in Catalyst Control Center and it never went over 70°C, most of the times staying @ 65°C. Judging by this in my opinion temperature should not be the problem.

I tried manually controlling the fan through ATITool but as I said I can\'t run it at this moment... And before anyone says try with your old card let me say I can\'t at the moment as I gave it to my friend so I\'m stuck with this one for few days, in any way I would like to with your help thoroughly inspect this card so I can be sure it\'s malfunctioned.

So if you have any suggestion please, please write it.

Edit:

Here is a screenshot from Speedfan:
Posted Image

Edit 2:
What is wrong with this forum? It is messing all my links!

Attached Files

Edited by Moshi, 31 August 2009 - 02:50 PM.

Advertisements