Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help submitting an assignment

• Please log in to reply

270pam

270pam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, here it goes. i am taking online classes. my payroll class has a website i am to go to and download some end of chapter templates which are excel. i do not have excel i dont think but i can open them in wordperfect and actually add to them like you would in excel. when i save it and send it to my advisor she cannot open or it is not right. i did find this afternoon that i could save as: my assignment name and file type i can save as excel 3.0 or 4.0. but when i went back to look at assignment only the first part of assignment was there. does anyone have any suggestions.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Have you checked out OpenOffice ?

It is a free office suite that has a program that can handle excel files. You will have to save them as the excel filetypes as well. It will probably be able to handle the excel templates just fine.

You could also send an email over to your professor. Online course teachers have to deal with this kind of thing a lot

Edited by NeonFx, 31 August 2009 - 06:58 PM.

270pam

270pam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
what type of file should i save it as so i can send it to my instructor and she can read it?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I would imagine you should save it as the same format the template is in. Again, you should ask your professor these questions. I'm sure you'll get better help that way.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
In OpenOffice's Spreadsheet program (Calc), you can choose to save it in (.xls) format. This is the traditional format Excel files are saved in. I think it's called "Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP (.xls)".

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks NeoneFx :) and 270pam the suggestion is correct.
Excel would be xls and is the most popular to use so your instructor should have no problem viewing the file with Microsoft Excel or Open Office.