Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp frozen on welcome screen

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
This is my second post, however it deals with a different laptop. A friends 12 year old daughter has a dell laptop running windows xp pro. When you turn on the laptop you see the black windows xp screen with the window logo. When it goes to the next screen (the logon screen) it simply freezes. It does not bring up any logon accounts at all. I have tried to boot this machine in safemode but it freezes on the same screen. As a desperation act I was going to reinstall xp, however the laptop will not boot from the cd drive even after I change the boot order in bios.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Steve DeVore.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Is there data that needs to be saved on the laptop?

If not then you can do a system recovery if the recovery partition is on the HD by following the next steps.
The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them. It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Thank you, the computer was reset to factory settings and is working fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible