Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Hibernation/Stand-By

• Please log in to reply

Mandy86

Mandy86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am posting for my Aunt, as she can't stay online long enough to come and post herself. I only know a few things about computers, and google has been my main help, lol.

She has Windows XP, and her main problem is she turns her computer on and it does ok for about 4 hours and than it goes into what I would say is a hibernation mode. She said it doesn't shut completly off but it does "sleep" the power light stays on but she can't do anything. She has tried moving the mouse, tapping keyboard keys, pressing the power button once, as well as shutting it down the wrong way by holding in the power button. She told me the only way to get it to shut completly down and turn back on is unplugging it. I know thats not a good thing to be doing if the computer is still being powered. I got on google and got step by step directions and told her over the phone how to turn the power savings off, they are already showing they are off. Could a virus do something like this? I ask because I have not been able to get her a virus scan just yet. I know thats a bad thing as well. I will get her one as soon as I can.

Even if noone can tell me a 100% answer on a fix, could you tell me what could be causeing it if possible? Thanks for the time.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Mandy86 ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
does she have any malware removal programs like a anti virus...ad-aware... superantispyware