Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry problems when installing Google Sketchup 7

• Please log in to reply

tohtorizorro

tohtorizorro

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

As the title states I'm not succeeding to install Google Sketchup 7.

I am running Win Xp pro 32-bit and a only one user account created (administrator level, naturally).

Just before finishing the installer comes up with an error message:

Could not open key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.DTPicker\CLSID
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

(a screenshot of the message should be also attached with this message)

I tried removing the key from registry and running the installer after that returned
a similar error message with a similarly named key in the same 'folder' (MsCom...something).
I didn't want to go on deleting more keys since I thought there should be better way of
dealing with this so I restored the deleted key and turned to you guys here.

Running the installer in safemode won't work either. (Saw someone suggesting it in a similar situation)

I also ran CC Cleaner's registry fix, and scanned the system with Spybot which said the system is clean.

So what might be the problem and what are these registry entries related to? Could installing something
like .net framework fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Mikko

Attached Thumbnails

• Error.JPG

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have the latest version on sketchup 7 on my machine, (no netframework installed), and there is no such key in the registry... at least not with the added...\CLSID. Searches on google indicates that the addition of the \CLSID to MSComCtl2.DTPicker could be attributed to adware/spyware and perhaps sketchup is getting confused because the entry is present. Just to be clear, I do have this... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.DTPicker... but I don't have \CLSID following it.

Although you've indicated you've scanned with Spybot, theres no guarantee your machine is as squeaky clean as you might think. I recommend you go to the Malware forum and create a post referencing this problem. Please go HERE first and follow the directions before posting. Yes, its a lot of work, but better safe than sorry!

tohtorizorro

tohtorizorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for your reply, Makai.

Running through the cleanup guide steps right now.

I'd still like to know to what are these registry keys related to so I could
get an idea what would deleting them cause. In case the issue isn't malware
related.

Mikko

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I truthfully don't know what the particular keys relate to on your machine. Are there any {numbers} inside parenthesis like these following the CLSID? The numbers may help identify what it is about the CLSID.
Google search just told me that it may be related to adware/spyware and is why I mentioned it. Also, because my own machine doesn't have the same type entries makes me suspicious.

tohtorizorro

tohtorizorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The problem seems to be solved. I just deleted each key that the installer could not open. The installer created new ones. The strangest thing is that today I noticed that now when using my external sound card the mute-indicator in the volume-icon on the taskbar is working and also I can adjust the volume with the buttons on my wireless keyboard. I have fought with this a lot and never got it to work before.

Soo, not sure what is going on with my system but it is nice that installing SketchUp fixed a bug in it.

Btw. going through the steps in the cleaning guide revealed few infections so thanks again, Makai, for directing me there.

In case someone has the same problem and ends up reading this, here are the keys that I deleted after which SketchUp installed without any problems:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.DTPicker
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.DTPicker.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.MonthView
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.MonthView.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.UpDown
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.UpDown.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.Animation
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.Animation.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.FlatScrollBar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.FlatScrollBar.2

This thread can now be closed. Thank you.

Edited by tohtorizorro, 02 September 2009 - 08:53 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, you're welcome!

I see you've posted in the Malware forum... that's good! They're quite busy all the time, so hopefully someone will get to you... try to be patient. If nobody gets back to you in 3-4 days, create a post in the Waiting Room forum with a link to your thread. Don't give up, your machine needs to be looked at and cleaned out... especially if you do any kind of banking, etc on it. A lot of people never think about what can happen if spyware gets on their machine other than its not working right. Good luck!

sumfun1

sumfun1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same issue and I have ran OTL but how do you delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.DTPicker
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.DTPicker.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.MonthView
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.MonthView.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.UpDown
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.UpDown.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MSComCtl2.Animation