Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking to another computer on a different subnet

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi guys,

OK heres the story. In my home, we have one modem/router (a WAG160N) which I am connected to (192.168.1.100), and we have a WAG54G set up as a repeater which my dad is connected to (192.169.10.139). He has a printer which I am trying to print to installed on his local machine, although I can not ping his PC, nor can I ping the router.

I have tried looking through the settings on the WAG160N but can not find anything about forwarding the IP address, or something like that. What is strange, is that he can ping me although I can not ping him.

I was wondering if anybody knew how to set it up so I can print to his PC?

Regards,

Bobbobagan

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Why not keep them all on the same subnet?

Also your dad's IP address of 192.169.10.139, is that correct or a typo?

Regards

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Hi There

Why not keep them all on the same subnet?

Also your dad's IP address of 192.169.10.139, is that correct or a typo?

Regards

Sorry, that's a Typo. 192.168.10.139. He connects to the repeater which then goes to the modem, and I connect directly to the modem... I don't think it was possible to put them on the same network address range (eg: putting them both on 192.168.10.X)

McFarlane

McFarlane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Find out what the share name is on the printer, then browser for the printer and put in the address \\192.168.10.xxx\sharename don't use the computer name use the direct ip. I will find it as long as both are on the same LAN. Make sure you set your dads computer to a static IP too.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I have already tried this... He has a static IP 192.168.10.139, I can not connect to the printer share (named C-man) nor can I even ping his machine (yes, we have checked firewalls) and I can not even ping the repeater.

Although, he can ping my machine perfectly fine. Very strange.

Anyway, we have taken the repeater out for now and have moved the modem to where the repeater sat (better wireless connection strengths all around), but we have a massive telephone cable running across our floor -.-

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Download a FREE trial of Network Magic Pro

This should diagnose it for you.

Regards

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi bobobagan,

Have you tried setting the wag54g to "bridge mode only". Then enable UPnP in the primary router to allow for the port forwarding to the printer host.

wag54g user interface