Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting to ethernet with username/password on a Mac

• Please log in to reply

Zuisa

Zuisa

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
First of all, I'm sorry if this is a horribly stupid question, but I'm currently studying in China, and I have absolutely no idea how to connect to the university's internet. I went and paid, and they gave me an ethernet cable, a username, and a password. My roommate (whose computer I am using now) is running Vista and had no problems. She just clicked 'new connection' and it asked her for her username and password and she was done. Or at least I think, her computer is in Russian so I couldn't really tell what she was doing. Anyway... I'm runing OS X, and I've looked all over the Network section of the System Preferences, but I can't find anywhere to just put in a username and a password.... "802.1X" seemed slightly promising, but was a bust. There aren't many people around who speak English, and those who do have never user a Mac. Someone told me I just couldn't get online with a Mac here, and this just can't be true, I feel.

So: bottom line is, my computer says it is connected to the ethernet network. I have a username and a password.... but no idea where to put them. Help! I'm going kind of insane without internet.

Edited by Zuisa, 01 September 2009 - 07:03 AM.

Advertisements