Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Boot From CD to Reload Xp

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you getting a flash of a Blue Screen then the system reboots?

Advertisements

RLA655

RLA655

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No, just the "Intel" and then black, then "Intel" and on and on, until I take thwe disc out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thank you for the information.
How old is the cdrom drive?
Was there any changes made to the hardware prior to all this starting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a thought and I'm not sure if it will help but let's see what happens.

BSOD outside of Windows

Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Now insert a disk and do your normal bootup.
Hopefully it will stop and give you a error message instead of rebooting.
Please let me know if it does and what the error message says.

wron

wron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well here it is three years after the last post and this is exactly the same problem that I am having. The OEM disc will quickly load a bunch of stuff and then the blue screen with, "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

I downloaded the material you mentioned above and the system did basically the same thing. It did add the following:, "*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0xf748e0bf,0xf78da208,0xf78d9f08)*** pci.sys - Address f748e0bf base at f7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

The computer is an HP xw4300 workstation with XP pro service pack 3. I can't get into safe mode as the system just repeats and repeats unless I move the boot over to the CD and then I reach the blue screen.

I haven't used this computer for a year or so and now have a new use for it, so I would be very happy to just reload the OS as I really don't need any of the old files so I need not be careful to protect info on the disc. Perhaps I could just move the hard drive to another computer and "clean" it there but I'm guessing there is something from HP that would be required for proper opperation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: wron

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.