Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive Installed but now CD Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply

scatternobrains

scatternobrains

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice. My old laptop died about a year ago, I got an error message which I cannot remember now (I think it mentioned something about a 'compartment' and 'NTD' or 'NTS' and maybe the word 'loader' was in there too) but when I searched on line all advice pointed having to install a new HDD. I ordered one and ensured that it was suitable for the laptop. I took the old one out and replaced with the new one. However when I turned it on ready to reinstall windows my cd/dvd drive doesnt power up at all. I cannot open it, it shows no lights and makes no sound. It has since sat in a cupboard for the year but my son could really do with it to help him with school work. :)

Laptop is an Advent 7106.

When I switch it on it says:

BIOS version Q3C21
Sysem ID = 01234567

CPU pentium 1.7
1015m system RAM passed
2048k cache SRAM passed
system bios shadowed
video bios shadowed

then says on a black screen 'operating system not found.'

Can anybody offer me any advice on how to over come this problem. Please keep it as basic as possible as I am not in my comfort zone with computers.

I have also noticed that I have taken the CD drive out and have obviously put it somewhere safe, I have no idea where,:) so I guess I need to buy a new one. If I buy a new one is there something that I can do to get it working in order to reinstall windows?

Thanks

Kerry

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Well, you won't know until you install SOME CD drive.