Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad image - not a valid Windows image

• Please log in to reply

mae323

mae323

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer recently started giving me this error message:
(Title: ____.exe - Bad Image) The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\kefesuto.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I wasn't sure if this was just a virus or a problem with Windows. It occurs about 2 dozen times when the computer starts up, seemingly for every program that begins at start up. Also any time I start another program, this error message pops up and I must hit ok before the program will start.

Also, not sure if this problem is related or not but it occured around the same time, which was several days ago, I noticed my anitvirus program (Symantec Endpoint) wasn't working properly so I decided to uninstall and then reinstall it with the newer version. During uninstallation a message popped up saying "A fatal error has occurred" and then the uninstallation stopped. Since then, everytime when the computer starts up, the computer tries to install the program. The installation runs for about 3 min before the same fatal error message pops up. Symantec Endpoint continues to not run. To be safe, I installed the free version of AVG and have run scans but haven't been able to remove the problem. Also, at computer start up I get a message saying "SpySweeper installation has been damaged. Please reinstall the product" followed by another which states "The connection to the SpySweeper engine has been lost or terminated. SpySweeper will now close and restart."

I performed the prescribed steps in the Malware Cleaning Guide but without success. Also, the System Restore wouldn't operate (SR was unable to restore to the selected date). Throughout downloading the applications, the same Bad Image error message continued to pop up (several times for each app). Please let me know what I can do to get rid of this. I would really appreciate help. Thanks very much for your help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're infected.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

mae323

mae323

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your response Broni.

I've posted a topic in the malware forum several days ago but haven't had any replies. I had done all of the steps in the removal guide beforehand but with no success. I also posted the reports the guide suggested I add into my thread. The problem has actually gotten worse and I now have no internet access. The wireless network manager shows no networks in my area although I know there is one in the house. Also, Windows keeps trying to "prepare for installation" for some program I'm unsure of. The Bad Image error messages continue to pop up as well. What should be my next step? Thanks again for your help.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
After 3 days of no reply in malware forum, you should have posted in "Waiting room". That jumps you to the top of the list. We need to make sure, your computer is clean.

heeroyuy

heeroyuy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello i get this as well but it has recently got worse
where it happens for me is just before the log on screen it would say soe random file path is not a valid windows image i used to be able o pres enter and log in
now the computer angs for a bit and then restarts is there anyway to bypass this or fix this? (i have a hard drive somewhere with windows 98 so i could hook that up as the master and my main drive as the slave and attempt to patch it up tha way)
by the looks of things (as the "windows is loading" thing used to come up) the image has been deleted so the computer canot load it and just restarts
PLEASE HELP

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.