Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having problems downloading printer driver

• Please log in to reply

Be Be

Be Be

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
A friend gave me her old computer (HP Pavilion 510n). I have a HPDeskjet D1420 Printer. It worked on my computer(HP Pavilion 512c)but I cannot get it to work on the new computer. The cd thing on the computer does not work so I cannot use the cd that goes with the printer. I have tried to go to the HP website and download the driver, I have also downloaded the driver with the software. still it is not recognizing my printer. I have also been trying to download my Cannon powershot camera but it will not work either. both of these programs seemed to load but, when I go into Programs and look to see if they have downloaded, there is a yellow question mark next to them. any ideas?

Thanks in advance. I love this site and use it often.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you install printer driver BEFORE connecting printer to the computer?

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
no. I had it plugged in but it asked me to unplug it during the process so I did. There is an HP icon for the solution center on my computer now but when I click on it, a window pops up and says there is no HP device that has been detected.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Disconnect printer. Uninstall whatever driver you installed.
Restart computer.
Install the driver again, and wait for installation process to ask you to reconnect printer.
Are 100% sure, you downloaded correct driver?

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I uninstalled the other driver, unplugged my printer and restarted the computer.
I went to the HP site and typed in the style of printer I have. it asked what system I am working with I checked the Windows XP box. it started to install then told me to plug in the printer. I did that then it said Hardware can not be installed. Wizard can not find necessary software. Then said device setup has failed to complete.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is this the page, you went to download driver: http://h10025.www1.h...product=3311793

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes and I chose the HP Deskjet Basic driver.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not sure, what to tell you. Did you try different USB port, different printer cable?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
USB 1.0 or 2.0?
Could this be a issue Broni?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Those two Pavilions are pretty close models.
I checked HP site, and Pavilion 512c clearly supports USB 2.0.
Pavilion 510n says USB, but it doesn't specify, 1.0, or 2.0

Advertisements

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have tried both switching USB ports and cords. and i still can't get my camera to download either. could it be a missing program? My friend erased a lot of things before i got the computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you have any errors in Device Manager?

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
how do I look and see. I don't know how to pull up Device Manager?

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I figured out how to pull up the device manager. Beside OTHER DEVICES there is a yellow question mark. I clicked that and it brought up my printer and says that the device is working properly but it has a yellow question mark beside it as well. it also says if it is not working right then go to troubleshoot and i did and no change.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hmmmm...did you check, if you can print a page of self-test (check printer's manual how to do it)?