Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

What Makes Page File Usage Skyrocket?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Compaq Presario
AMD Semperon Processor 3400+
1.8 Ghz, 448MB of RAM

My system seems to occasionally slow down to an almost screeching halt and I don't really understand why. I was online a little while ago, browsing some real estate sites, and suddenly started having images on the pages not show up. Then I got an error message stating that a script stopped working due to a low memory state. I brought up the Task Manager and found that my page file usage was 1.6GB! I have never seen it that high before. And the CPU usage was only about 4% I think. I looked at the processes running and couldn't really see any one thing using a lot of memory, although the svchost.exe process seemed to be duplicated a few times.

I restarted my computer and everything seemed to return to normal. Right now my page file usage is 362MB, though it seems to be slowly getting higher. CPU usage is running between 2% to 20%.

What would make the page file usage jump as high as it did and what can I do to prevent it (besides buying a better computer)? I have heard that buying more memory would help, but even if it would, I think with the improvements in everything since this computer was made, I would be better off buying a new one. But I would still like to have a better understanding of why this would happen. Thanks.

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

1.6GB seems very high :)

I believe that your Pc may be infected. I would advise you get yourself checked out just in case.

Click Here and follow the guide. Then start a new topic Here
If after 3 OR MORE DAYS you get no reply, read This Thread

Once complete post back to this thread if you still have the same problem.