Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I want to uninstall/remove chkdsk (Disk Checker) - how can I do it?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
The diskchecker program seems to go crazy if it sees a patched UXTheme.dll since on a new laptop of mine I ran it (after patching the uxtheme.dll) and it thought that there were loads of corupted files and actually ended up making it impossible to boot back in to windows!

It could be coincidence but, personally, I don't think it is.

I never really need to use it anyway, so: how do I remove chkdsk completely from my (XP) computer?

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Its really not advisable to either uninstall checkdisk or patch your system.

This is why Microsoft have always given warning's about using any form of third party theme software simply because it does more harm than good to a system.
When you patched the system you changed a file that Windows did't recognise and wasn't signed. Therefore check disk is actually helping you by doing its job, but because something unregulated was change it wasn't recognised and removed.

However if you really feel you should remove it then you could so something like This . It won't fully remove it but will stop it.

Edited by rev_olie, 02 September 2009 - 04:23 AM.