Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Boot From CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi guys, got one of my own here stumping me. I recently had to replace my motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L as the old one carked it... Everything else is the same.

Now I cannot get my system to boot from CD-ROM (in my case, DVD burner).

I have the boot priority to choose from the CD-ROM first before loading from the HDD.

I have the SATA channels loaded as AHCI. The DVD Burner and all hard drives are SATA. All SATA channels are run by the one controller. On the last motherboard, I had two SATA controllers, and the DVD Burner was plugged into the second controller and it worked fine. As I now only have one controller, I'm thinking this is where the problem lies.

Any thoughts? Want more info?

Cheers

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Try hitting F12 on boot, and then follow these directions:
Posted Image

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I know about that, but didn't actually try it. I wonder if it works? I'll give it a shot when I get home. That still doesn't help when I want it to check the DVD drive first every boot... Any other thoughts?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Are the settings actually getting saved in the BIOS? (ie. You set the optical drive to first priority, then restart the computer and go back into the BIOS... Is the optical drive still listed as first?)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep... checked settings multiple times... Also it's the latest BIOS F4, although there is a beta BIOS out... am I game? :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay I found it, finally. Thanks to your suggestion, I went looking through the F12 menu and tried to boot from CD-ROM, no joy. Then after rebooting I went back and checked everything out - there were so many settings, and one had caught my eye just as I had pressed Enter for the CD-ROM option the first time.

It started with P0-Pioneer ... and I realised that was my Pioneer DVD burner on Port 0. After selecting it, it worked! So back into the BIOS to make it the permanent choice - I had to scroll down through the options to find it, but it was down near the bottom.

Oh joy of joys... So I can't boot from CD-ROM but I can boot straight to my Pioneer DVD Burner, because the AHCI SATA BIOS is referring to them differently.

Or something like that.

SWEET! :)

Troy