Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Help !

• Please log in to reply

garrity109

garrity109

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi guys ,
First off i am not a computer wiz kid, so any help is appreciated.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop - Requirements - AMD Turion Dual-Core RM- 70 3-gb ram 2.00 GHz - 32-bit operating system.

I have had the laptop for under 1 year now, and i previously had windows vista home premium running on it, it ran so smooth, fast and i did not have any trouble with it at all. Unfortunately for me, i was passing on a few windows 7 forums a while back and seen that there was a beta available for download, so i thought what the heck and gave it a try. So i installed Windows 7 Evaluation copy. Build 7100 - ms windows 7 ultimate. I mainly used my computer for instant messaging, Emails, Music, Surfing the web so basically speaking it should run easily with my daily tasks, but the thing is, it was not. After i installed it, it started okay, but now i notice that my laptop easily increases in battery hotness, when i go on to windows live messenger, it runs really slowly and when i type, you cant see what i type then 2 mins later it eventually comes up, which is annoying considering the specs of my laptop, Also when i start up my laptop it takes a rather long time and the cpu goes straight to 100. My laptop also shuts down sometimes, which it has never previously done. So i was hoping to revert back to windows vista or is there another version of windows 7 i can get that will run smoother ? as i have ultimate, is that why it is running slowly ?. I cant really remember if i download the 32- bit windows 7 ultimate or the 64, but i am sure it was the 32. I was posting on other forums asking for help and no one could help me as i did not leave a partition with windows vista on it, but i noticed when i was mucking about that there is a folder in my computer/local disk / that there is a folder named windows old with various files such as program files-program data-users and windows, and when i click on the windows folder it has multiple folders like boot, system 32,system,tasks,temps etc multiple folders which look like they were used when i was using vista. So what can i do ? i would like to stay with Windows 7, but only if it ran smoothly like it should do, or alternatively i can i revert back to vista ?. Help appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Windows 7 beta is not functional anymore.
It's little bit beyond me, why would you remove recovery partition.
Your best bet is to call HP, and ask them for recovery DVDs. They may charge you shipping costs, but if you hit a nice person, they may send it to you for free.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
The build in use is the RC Build 7100. The Beta which is no longer functional is Build 7000. :)

There is no download available anymore for Windows 7 RC Builds from Microsoft. They stopped the download at the end of August. So even if you wanted to try 64 Bit, you couldnt download it now.

So your options are pretty slim. If you do have a windows.old folder:

http://www.vistax64....stallation.html

Best of luck to you with that one. It would be easier to just buy the media from the manufacturer and reinstall Vista that way.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
[file sharing content removed]

Edited by admin, 04 September 2009 - 11:28 AM.
illegal file sharing

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Getting Windows 7 via Torrent is illegal as that is not the Distribution method used by Microsoft. It would be considered Piracy. Build 7600 is the Final Build and it does not expire. Build 7100 is the RC Build and that is the one that Expires in March 2010.