Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Beeping

• Please log in to reply

Shellymm

Shellymm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been playing a very graphic intense video game online for the past two months. In order to play the game, I had to upgrade my memory and my video card so those are new. I have 3 sticks of 265MB of RAM and an NVIDIA GForce 4000 video card.

In the past week, my CPU has started beeping at me almost constantly while in the game. There's not a pattern to it that I can tell either. At first I thought maybe it was overheating so I popped off the side case and now have a fan blowing directly on it. Nope...still beeping. Someone suggested re-installing the drivers for the video card. Did that...still beeping. This is very important... It ONLY beeps when I'm playing the game. I can surf, email, play solitaire, etc, etc, etc and is quiet as a church mouse the entire time.

Any suggestions before I toss the stupid thing out the window? :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If its constantly beeping I would suspect it's overheating. Just because you have installed a fan blowing over the system, doesn't mean that this is sufficient. It could be your graphics card that overheating instead of the CPU. Do you have any way of checking the system temps?

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
may be the game thinks its got a stuck key on keyboard but not in windows envorment

Shellymm

Shellymm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Samm...

Thanks for the reply. :tazz:

Wouldn't I check the temps in the bios?

When I say that I have a fan there, I meant that I've opened the side casing and have a 7in fan blowing right on the entire CPU itself. Maybe even that isn't enough?

Shellymm

Shellymm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Supergeek...

How would I check to see if there's a stuck key?

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
can you try another keyboard

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Samm...

Wouldn't I check the temps in the bios?

When I say that I have a fan there, I meant that I've opened the side casing and have a 7in fan blowing right on the entire CPU itself. Maybe even that isn't enough?

View Post

If your bios has a temperature monitoring utility, then yes, you can check the cpu temp in there. Run the system in windows for a while then reboot into the bios.

I doubt whether it will tell you the graphics card temps though. I guess you could try moving the fan (assuming the cpu temps are ok) so that it blows directly on the video card instead of the cpu & see if this makes any difference to the beeping noise.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
get a couple of mpg videos and play them in two sepertat windows and leave them playing for while give the com some hard work to do and see if and see if it beeps at you then you neverknow it might be some thing coming down the line from the on line game