Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

can't select a midi playback device

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We noticed midi sounds stopped playng and the volume icon is gone from the task bar,
I looked in control panel sounds audio and see there was nothing selected for midi playback, so I selected SoundMAX (My ThinkCenter has on board SoundMAX sound) and press apply. but when I leave and come back the selection is gone.

So I ensured I have the latest bios and no updates needed from lenovo, downloaded the latest soundmax driver (from like 2005).. updated the driver , no luck. uninstalled the driver and reinstalled and no luck.

device manager doesn't show any yellow icons next to these devices listed under sound:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

So I thought maybe SoundMAX had stopped working, so I went out and got a creative soundblaster card, uninstalled the SoundMAX s/w, shut down, installed the new sound card, booted the bios and turned Audio on the MB off, booted XP SP3, installed the creative s/w .. and same thing, it won't let me choose a midi playback device...

any ideas what I can do to fix this?

I went into msconfig and did a clean boot and it still didn't work, so I don't think its a s/w program .. but could it be a driver someplace?

Edited by jamiek, 02 September 2009 - 08:28 PM.