Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi adaptor=Issues/Not connecting

• Please log in to reply

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I recently bought and installed an Alfa high-power wifi adaptor that's supposed to increase my reception. I live in a large house, room is very far from the router and originally I was picking up a weak signal. The adaptor has increased it to 46%. I can connect however nothing is loading, it doesn't even try just quits and page cant display. I ran a diagnostics log, here it is.

Last diagnostic run time: 08/31/09 12:55:11 Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 3, Device=Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=3G Connection, Device=Standard Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
warn This machine has more than one Ethernet or more than one Wireless adapter
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

That's the log. I don't have access to the router, that belongs to my folks and they don't want me messing with their machine :) I can only work from my end of things--for now so I'm hoping that the issue isn't an incompatability of some kind with the router. If that happens I suppose I'll need to get my own router...

Edited by wynnyelle, 02 September 2009 - 09:35 PM.

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Check the DNS settings on the client as it looks as if nothing is resolving.

Regards

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
What are DNS settings? And is the client my laptop, the adaptor, or what?

I'm afraid I don't know how to begin doing this.

Edited by wynnyelle, 03 September 2009 - 09:00 PM.

Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You can check first if you are getting a valid IP Address from the base station (Router).

Could you please provide me the OS of your Computer?

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Windows XP. Asus EEE PC 900 laptop.

Thanks for the help so far btw :) I know you do this for free and it's much appreciated.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I provided the info...I already said, I don't know where to go from here. What do I do now? It is no different. I still cannot connect. I gave the info and then no responses while I wait for over a week? I feel I've been very patient. But I need help.

Edited by wynnyelle, 13 September 2009 - 06:54 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Please do an ipconfig /all

1. Click "Start"

2. Click "Run"

3. Type "cmd" and press enter

4. Type "ipconfig /all >C:\Info.txt" and press enter

5. Navigate to your C: drive (start, my computer) and double click "Info.txt" (it won't say Info.txt, just Info but it will be a text file)

6. Please copy and paste the contents of Info.txt into your next reply...

Edited by Cold Titanium, 13 September 2009 - 09:16 PM.