Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU and VGA coolers

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am looking for a good CPU cooler to cool my Core 2 Quad on an Asus Rampage Extreme. I was looking at the Zerotherm Nirvana (I am sure that it will fit). Also am looking for a better cooler for my ATI 4870, and I thought the ZALMAN VF1000 would work good.

Does anyone have other suggestions? I also am looking for a guide on how to install a VGA cooler.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.
I have a Noctua NH-U12P cooler, Intel E8400 Core 2 CPU, Asus P5Q Deluxe, Antec P182 case, The cooler is large, a little fiddely to fit but VERY quiet. When overclocking till system crach, temp has never gone above 70c, in normal everday use runs at 35c to 40c.
No matter how good your coolers are, good case fans and arflow, I thingk, are just as important.

Have fun.

iammykyl

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you for your suggestions. :)

I am fine with large coolers as I am sure that I have enough space to accommodate them. The noise output also isn't a concern with me... I can live with it.

The cooler you suggested is very nice... I am impressed by it's performance. Do you know where I can buy it?

Also, has anyone used a Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer? How well does it perform?

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
This is what I was thinking for my build eventually. It's pretty darn good looking, and HUGE. I've seen a lot of people cram these into my type of case. I've also heard that it cools pretty well.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.
For the Noctua, follow this Noctua tells you where to buy or search Google, USA.

Immykyl

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Best bang for you buck around is the Dark Knight by Xigmatek. Only $45 on Newegg. It used to be priced in the $30 range, but I guess because of how well they cool and their popularity prices have gone up. Has Direct Touch Heatpipes which I believe was invented by Xigmatek and the cooler is Nickel plated to further help disperse heat. It currently keeps my i7 920 @2.67ghz at 28 Celsius surface, 38 Celsius at the core Idle. I haven't tested it at load yet, I'm lazy. Reports say it does very well.

Other good ones known to cool well are the Cooler Master V8 and better yet the V10, but they get pricey. All sold on Newegg. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If I can find that Noctua cooler at a decent price, I will be considering it.
The Tuniq Tower is nice and I like that fan controller that I can put in an expansion slot. One question... should you put the fan power connector in the 4-pin CPU fan connector or the 3-pin fan connectors on the mobo.

I read a lot about the Dark Knight and it seems to be a solid performer. I will be overclocking and I am hoping to keep the load temps under 60, or somewhere around that.
The CMv8 is an option, but the v10 is too much to pay.

I was looking at the Core-Contact Freezer by Sunbeam, does anyone have a personal experience with those? Also, how difficult is it to install that heatsink?

Looking at this chart: http://www.frostytec...?...2314&page=5
It appears that the Core-contact freezer outperforms the CMv8
Again here: http://www.frostytec...?...2333&page=5
The Dark Knight is beat by the Freezer.
The Tuniq Tower chart: http://www.frostytec...?...2198&page=5
The Freezer is not shown, but since FrostyTech uses the same setup to test every heatsink, the 16.1C that the Freezer held is still better. The Freezer also beats the Noctua and Zerotherm Nirvana I was considering.

The clamp design of the Freezer is making me think about it before buying... is it easy to install?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Best bang for you buck around is the Dark Knight by Xigmatek.

The real best bang for your buck is the HDT-S1283 by Xigmatek. It is identical to the Dark Knight, but without the nickel coating, the translucent fan, and the LEDs. It also cools a bit better, as the nickel coating hampers cooling a bit. So, with better cooling for less money ($26.60 after mail-in rebate), the HDT-S1283 is the better deal.

The Core Contact Freezer is also a good deal at $25 after mail-in rebate. It cools just about identically to the HDT-S1283.

Both will be a HUGE PAIN to install without removing your motherboard. (I use "huge pain" not just figuratively, but also literally. When trying to install the HDT-S1283 without removing my motherboard, I cut up my fingers on the edges of the aluminum fins pretty badly.)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It's always best practice to remove the motherboard when installing a new CPU cooler; that way you can see easily from all different angles what's going on and if anything's not quite spot on. Even the standard Intel coolers for example, I very often find one of the little plastic legs half sticking out (i.e. on top of the mobo and not through it) when I'm repairing systems.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The thing is, when I was building the computer, the Intel stock cooler was a real pain to install. After pushing one push-pin in (with a click) I could not click in the diagonal pin (it required a lot of force to get it about 3/4ths in... felt like the mobo was about to snap). After some time though, I got most of the pins in and the heatsink stood firm.

Do any of you have experience in installing the HDT-S1283 or the Core-Contact Freezer (I will probably buy one of those since they are priced very well and have really good cooling capabilities)

I have a HAF 922 which has a precut hole in the mobo tray behind the CPU socket. Would I still need to take the mobo out? I'm fine with taking the mobo out if it means an easier installation though.

One question... should you put the fan power connector in the 4-pin CPU fan connector or the 3-pin fan connectors on the mobo. The HDT-S1283 has a 4-pin fan and the Freezer has a 3-pin fan.

Does anyone know which VGA coolers are the best? I have a ATI 4870 which runs at 55 idle and around 75 load.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Actually that would be the best then, because the motherboard is already mounted solid and you have access to both sides. Obviously if it's for the CPU then you would plug it in to the CPU fan connector. :)

I'm not too sure on VGA coolers, you'd have to wait for someone else to comment.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Obviously if it's for the CPU then you would plug it in to the CPU fan connector

I thought so...

I was looking at the Arctic Cooling Accelro Twin Turbo: http://www.hardwares...com/article/630
It is a dual-slot cooler though, and will not allow me to run a Crossfire setup.

After some more cable management, I was able to get my video card idle to around 50 C and the load to around 75 C. Is that good for a 4870?